Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cabin filter smells and wings through my MINI air vents

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 PM
alivenkickn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin filter smells and wings through my MINI air vents

Are you getting bad smells or small wings that fly out of your air vents in the cab of your MINI?! Let me explain:

About a 1/2 of year ago I left a 40 lb. bag of dog kibble food on the garage floor and forgot about it. The following morning mice (or one mouse?) ate out the bottom of the bag and all sorts of kibble was strewn across the floor - I begrudgingly cleaned it up. Fast forward three months down the road and I noted a musty smell coming from the vents, especially in the recycling mode with the AC on. Three months after that I noted several small fly wings coming out of the vents and landing on my pants and also showing themselves most notably on the black leather interior of my 2004 MINI Cooper S; hummmm... this DOES NOT look good!!!

After laying out a white sheet on the passenger side (good thing to always do) I pulled the black box that encased the inner cabin filter and look what dropped out...

Yes, dog kibble immediately started falling out as I removed the box, but look at the SIZE of the handful amount of kibble AND the maggots that were riding on the top of the cabin filter that me and my family and friends got to breath for six months!!!

Pretty disgusting (!!!) and with vacuuming, blowing with a compressor and now putting Fabreze Dryer Sheets (which I understand they hate!) in close proximity to where my MINI is parked. I no longer store any kind of food, rubber, or anything on the floor of our garage that these industrious mice might find edible or storable; you might do the same

Attached Thumbnails Cabin filter smells and wings through my MINI air vents-dog-food-and-magots-on-the-cabin-filter-.jpg  
Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Cabin Filter

Originally Posted by alivenkickn
Are you getting bad smells or small wings that fly out of your air vents in the cab of your MINI?! Let me explain:

About a 1/2 of year ago I left a 40 lb. bag of dog kibble food on the garage floor and forgot about it. The following morning mice (or one mouse?) ate out the bottom of the bag and all sorts of kibble was strewn across the floor - I begrudgingly cleaned it up. Fast forward three months down the road and I noted a musty smell coming from the vents, especially in the recycling mode with the AC on. Three months after that I noted several small fly wings coming out of the vents and landing on my pants and also showing themselves most notably on the black leather interior of my 2004 MINI Cooper S; hummmm... this DOES NOT look good!!!

After laying out a white sheet on the passenger side (good thing to always do) I pulled the black box that encased the inner cabin filter and look what dropped out...

Yes, dog kibble immediately started falling out as I removed the box, but look at the SIZE of the handful amount of kibble AND the maggots that were riding on the top of the cabin filter that me and my family and friends got to breath for six months!!!

Pretty disgusting (!!!) and with vacuuming, blowing with a compressor and now putting Fabreze Dryer Sheets (which I understand they hate!) in close proximity to where my MINI is parked. I no longer store any kind of food, rubber, or anything on the floor of our garage that these industrious mice might find edible or storable; you might do the same
Wow, amazing story! Didn't know mice packed food out. Glad to hear it sounds like the problem is solved. I think I might surround the MINI with traps.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:33 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ugh. That's a horror story!

Old 09-01-2016, 02:37 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
It's always fun to hear these stories, can't believe what some guys find in their cabin filters.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:48 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I first bought my 2nd hand Clubman I changed out the cabin air filter and there was all kinds of junk on top of it. I read some threads here about why and there was one suggestion tha was simple enough to implement. Behind the battery is where the fresh air comes from.