Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 05:57 PM
Dieseldoctor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leak

Well I have a bit of a problem. A couple of weeks ago the wife was at the atm and her 08 clubman S overheated. Very hot day and just did it for a second. As soon as she drove away it cooled down and hasn't done it since. She took it in for the regular oil and filter change and told them to check it over. I changed the cab filter and picked up coolant just in case. Needed it because it was low. Looked tonight and low again and looks like stat housing leaking. Question... is it common to change housing stat and sending unit all at once, or just gasket and thermostat?

Old 08-30-2016, 06:47 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's lots of threads here about replacing the thermostat housing, some with a link to a video. It is all inclusive-the thermostat is integral to the housing and it comes with a new sending unit & gasket. Replacing it is not for the novice, and having a small hand can be handy.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:45 AM
Dieseldoctor
1st Gear
I've read most of the threads and looked it over on the car. A lot of stuff in the way but I think I can handle it. I was a diesel tech til I retired and they were getting crowded as well. The housing locally, auto zone etc, doesn't show stat and sending unit as a an integral part. Maybe I need to get it from ECS or pelican.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
They are definitely one unit....always good to support our vendors. The replacement process is straightforward - you can do it.

One thing to consider is changing the "water pipe" (P/N 11537589713) to the water pump at the same time. I didn't change my tube when I changed my thermostat/housing....I had to have a real mechanic change my water pump due to scheduling problems and he changed my "water pipe".....he recommended that I change the tube with the thermostat....reading some of the threads, not many people do though.

Also, I bought a non-MINI thermostat housing, which stuck in the open position after about 600 miles....it was warrantied, but I had to do the job twice. I'll probably purchase the MINI housing next time....

Old 08-31-2016, 10:43 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Shoot me a PM with the last 7 digits of your vin and all that you need. I can get a list together for you and talk about complimentary routine items as well, like the water pipe suggested above by bugeye.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Dieseldoctor
1st Gear
Now I've stepped in it! I changed out the housing this weekend, it definitely was leaking. Filled it up with coolant and bled it out, then turned on the heater let it idle and bled it again, topped off coolant and put a couple of miles on it. Everything seemed ok, coolant level stayed good. Today the wife took it to work and yellow check engine light came on. She called (not happy) coolant level was where I left it. Not sure if there is a place over there to check codes. Any ideas what I might have done? No lights on when I drove it or most of the way there so pretty sure all the sensors are plugged in.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:17 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
You'll want to plug in and check the code. That will give us the best idea of what possibly might be going on if there are no other visible symptoms. Usually an Auto Zone might be able to pull the code and tell you what it is if you don't have one yourself. Pull that code and let us know what it says.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Dieseldoctor
1st Gear
I went and bought an inexpensive OBD reader and got no codes. I figured the one I got might be too cheap 60 bucks and took it back. My wife took it to the dealer we bought it from AND they didn't get any codes either (not a mini dealer). The check engine (yellow) light is on half blanked out and also has limited power. I found a tiny leak and fixed that, and noticed the bottom radiator hose wasn't warm. Usually the only thing that causes that is tstat and it is New with housing (local not mini). What does everyone think? Junk parts or am I mistaken in my thought process? I have read that defective stat will turn on a light don't know if it sets a code though.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:54 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieseldoctor
I went and bought an inexpensive OBD reader and got no codes. I figured the one I got might be too cheap 60 bucks and took it back. My wife took it to the dealer we bought it from AND they didn't get any codes either (not a mini dealer). The check engine (yellow) light is on half blanked out and also has limited power. I found a tiny leak and fixed that, and noticed the bottom radiator hose wasn't warm. Usually the only thing that causes that is tstat and it is New with housing (local not mini). What does everyone think? Junk parts or am I mistaken in my thought process? I have read that defective stat will turn on a light don't know if it sets a code though.
Bottom hose is only flowing when A/C is on "MAX" or you run "pedal-to-the-metal" for an extended period of time. It's kinda an emergency coolant source. At least, this is how my '07 MCS works. Both my defective stats have initiated a readable code. maybe find another code reader?

Old 09-13-2016, 08:15 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by Dieseldoctor
You're in limp mode/reduced power mode. May be a dealer only code, something that a MINI/BMW dealer might be only able to read.