Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Need Help Fast!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Ronald Wright
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Help Fast!!!

Alright here we go, I recently purchased 2009 Mini Cooper S 6mt w/Keyless in New Hampshire and I've been enjoying it but the other day(Monday) as I was doing my routine route before work I stop at my local Dunkin' turned off the car and got my coffee than tried to start my car( after I had to put something into the trunk) and than it clicks so I used my other car to try and jump it and nothing but I had power too everything but no engine start so today(Tuesday) I took the battery too the auto part store and they confirmed that the battery was super dead and they changed it so I pick it up in a hour and installed it and tried again to start but this time I still have power to windows,locks and radio but no display or info on gauges and ther is no mini dealer around where I live which I live in the A/L area of Maine. Please help or any mini owners in my area point me in some kind of direction. Thanks in advance

Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronald Wright
Alright here we go, I recently purchased 2009 Mini Cooper S 6mt w/Keyless in New Hampshire and I've been enjoying it but the other day(Monday) as I was doing my routine route before work I stop at my local Dunkin' turned off the car and got my coffee than tried to start my car( after I had to put something into the trunk) and than it clicks so I used my other car to try and jump it and nothing but I had power too everything but no engine start so today(Tuesday) I took the battery too the auto part store and they confirmed that the battery was super dead and they changed it so I pick it up in a hour and installed it and tried again to start but this time I still have power to windows,locks and radio but no display or info on gauges and ther is no mini dealer around where I live which I live in the A/L area of Maine. Please help or any mini owners in my area point me in some kind of direction. Thanks in advance
My guess is you have the "Intelligent Battery System". If there's a "box" at the battery ground terminal --- something more than just a clamp --- that's an indication of what it is. This usually requires a new battery to be "registered" by the dealer --- about a 1 ½ hour process where the ECU "learns" there's a new battery installed. This will keep the alternator from overcharging the new battery, among other things.

If you have this EBS installed, I suggest you contact a dealer fir instructions.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:23 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
That should not stop the car from starting though. I used to unplug it and start the car and it would work. there might be a ground connection that got loose. check the ground strap by the engine mount on the left (the engine is in front of you) did you ever have any other issues prior to this or any recent work done ?

Old 09-14-2016, 06:26 AM
Ronald Wright
1st Gear
I'm going to check everything you guys told me so far but I only have had the car for about 4 days and don't know too much on history only what is Visual

Old 09-14-2016, 06:30 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
also, when you get a chance, take a short video of the engine bay and when you start it. can you also check the oil level and antifreeze. when you bought it, what did the previous owner say about the car, why did he sell it and how long did he have it for, how many miles the car has? where in the States are you?

Old 09-14-2016, 08:36 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I'll add my two cents....check that the positive and negative battery clamps are actually on tight. I've re-installed the battery on my '09 and tightened the clamps, drove it for a few days and then a dead battery....just to have a mechanic tell me that the clamps weren't tight. They're not a great design....used by other manufacturers also....I think that they've replaced it with a better design that doesn't "lock up" and appear tight when they are not.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Ronald Wright
1st Gear
I figured out why the cluster wasn't working, when I was checking the fuses I put it back in the wrong slot but still have a no start problem. Is there a facebook page everyone used I can load it there too make it faster.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:50 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
waaaaait...i have an idea did you try to pop the clutch?

Old 09-15-2016, 06:33 PM
Ronald Wright
1st Gear
It was the starter, tried too test it and failed.it was fried thanks everyone for your input I'm up and running again.