Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

manifold/downpipe split on cat weld

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 05:44 AM
travis2
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manifold/downpipe split on cat weld

Yesterday my '05 MCS downpipe broke on the weld at the end of the cat. Since the manifold/downpipe/cat/pre-muffler is one unit, the shop did not offer me a lot of options - recommended replacing the whole piece which is pricey (OEM ~$900). They did say they could (re)weld around the cat but that the heat of welding often damaged the cat and would not be guaranteed.

Looking for suggestions - anyone have any positive experience with welding a cracked downpipe near the cat?

Any suggestions on aftermarket headers that might be less expensive than OEM? I notice way motor works has a system that is about a $100 less than the OEM price - but hear there are concerns with CEL appearing with aftermarket cats.

Has not been a good year for the mini - harmonic dampener replaced earlier this year along with crank seals and power steering lines. Trying to limit the damage

I am thinking it might be worth having someone weld - but would like to hear a success story.

Thanks in advance for suggestions, especially for an economical header with cat that coexists with the O2 sensor.

--travis

Old 09-21-2016, 06:06 AM
Piano Man
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travis2
Yesterday my '05 MCS downpipe broke on the weld at the end of the cat. Since the manifold/downpipe/cat/pre-muffler is one unit, the shop did not offer me a lot of options - recommended replacing the whole piece which is pricey (OEM ~$900). They did say they could (re)weld around the cat but that the heat of welding often damaged the cat and would not be guaranteed.

Looking for suggestions - anyone have any positive experience with welding a cracked downpipe near the cat?

Any suggestions on aftermarket headers that might be less expensive than OEM? I notice way motor works has a system that is about a $100 less than the OEM price - but hear there are concerns with CEL appearing with aftermarket cats.

Has not been a good year for the mini - harmonic dampener replaced earlier this year along with crank seals and power steering lines. Trying to limit the damage

I am thinking it might be worth having someone weld - but would like to hear a success story.

Thanks in advance for suggestions, especially for an economical header with cat that coexists with the O2 sensor.

--travis
My 05 MCS did the same thing last summer. We have a great mechanic friend who always lets us use his shop. He took about 10 minutes and welded it up like the pro he is. No problems. Motored ON!

Old 09-21-2016, 06:16 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Yup...a good shop can weld it up...
But if it doesn't, another cat thread had a Amazon sourced header and cat for $400....he had 10,000 miles on it, no issues (and 300,000+ on the car)...so one option...