Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mines broke too often

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 02:35 PM
nelshagan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so the wife has put 5k miles on our Mini. I was the first owner to take delivery in Sacramneto CA (spent the night!) The dealership experience has been long on words and short on action. Day one the yellow check engine light is aglow...order a new smog vacuum pump...4 weeks later it arrives! Dealer installs, 10 miles later light is back on, day in service wasted. Go back for rerepair and a new throttle as mine is sticking. Tech finds vacuum line left off new pump-not even an apology, accelerator fixed. All is fine for a week before the shifter breaks!!!argh towed to dealer...conection at trany needs a "new" style conector. They need the car a week to get the part in while I get to pay for a rental car for who knows how long. Decide to take care and take chances while I wait for said part...dealer gives me wood stick to pop the conector back on should it fail again...it does. Now I notice a stumbling of the engine when the throttle is dropped off suddenly! Had been considering "upgrading to an S" delaer "Niello of Sacramento" was to get back to me about a trade for an S that works in a couple of days, well it's been a couple of weeks and no word about a trade exccept that shifter part is in and I can waste another day or pay for a rental!!!!!

Perhaps I'll upgrade to a Ford, don't get me wrong I love the car when it's running, it really makes me smile, but the dealer is 40 miles away and has not been real great and the car has been anything but dependable. :evil: :evil:

Old 06-17-2002, 02:45 PM
MiniDreaming
1st Gear
Glad it was you and not me. My Mini dealer will be 3.5 hours away.

Old 06-17-2002, 08:06 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
I am so sorry to hear this my mini friend. I can not beleive the dealer is not agreeable to help out with the rental car. seeing that the malfunction is totally mini related. Put the BIG SQUEEZE on them and get them to pay for the rental. Tell them you will call and write miniusa if you do not get the results you want. Also make sure to mention your envolvement with this website and the influence it has.
Keep us posted, we care.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 AM
EdwardIII
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not good! California should have a very strong Lemon Law. I once sold a Chevy back to the dealer after it had the same problem three times and saw no reason why it wouldn't happen again given the engineering of the part. I'd look up the Lemon Law and quote them chapter and verse! Writing Mini would be part of the requirement of the Lemon Law anyway so I would check in with them as mini-g suggested.

On a broader note, you must know by now that Mini's are not that reliable - you almost have to buy them for the fun factor despite the reliability issues. Justaminis are more reliable than Mini Ss and automatics are more reliable than stick shifts. Consumer Reports rate Justaminis as a good value, not so the other models.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Name of the dealer is........

Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Is the NAM mobile app displaying dates incorrectly, or did a thread from 2002 just get resurrected?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is not that bad, is only 10 years old... A bit more lol

Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Is the NAM mobile app displaying dates incorrectly, or did a thread from 2002 just get resurrected?
Yup....folks cannot read dates i guess. New car, new manfacture, new parts, new mechanics....things were VERY different back then in 2002.
That is 2002....11 years ago......
WOW....
oldest thread brought back to life yet!!!
11 years....that is 2002 just to restate it!!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwardIII
Not good! California should have a very strong Lemon Law. I once sold a Chevy back to the dealer after it had the same problem three times and saw no reason why it wouldn't happen again given the engineering of the part. I'd look up the Lemon Law and quote them chapter and verse! Writing Mini would be part of the requirement of the Lemon Law anyway so I would check in with them as mini-g suggested.

On a broader note, you must know by now that Mini's are not that reliable - you almost have to buy them for the fun factor despite the reliability issues. Justaminis are more reliable than Mini Ss and automatics are more reliable than stick shifts. Consumer Reports rate Justaminis as a good value, not so the other models.
Ed!!! Thats 10 years ago!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:33 PM
EdwardIII
1st Gear
My bad! I apologize. Wasn't looking at the date.