Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Flasher relay for LEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:49 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Flasher relay for LEDs?

Just converted the exterior of my R53 to LEDs, including all turn signal bulbs. The emergency flashers work normally, but actuating either left or right turn signals cause hyperflashing. I know you can wire load resistors in parallel with each bulb, but I'd rather use a flasher unit to slow them all down. However, I read here that R53s don't have physical flasher relays, instead using the body control computer to pulse them. Is this really true? What causes the relay-type clicking I hear in the dash when the turn signals are on if they relay doesn't exist?

Old 12-07-2016, 05:33 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Anyone have any insight? It's kind of an annoying issue. I'm thinking about taking apart the dash again and checking the inside of the speedo for the relay, I can hear something in there. When I replaced the speedo for my dads car, the note of his turn signals changed, so there must be a relay in there.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:15 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
i thought the turn signals were controlled by the body control module? in our Mazda5, the turn signal "click" comes from a speaker in the instrument cluster. not sure if the minis are the same.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:55 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
i thought the turn signals were controlled by the body control module? in our Mazda5, the turn signal "click" comes from a speaker in the instrument cluster. not sure if the minis are the same.
Yeah, that's what the thread I linked said. That's really too bad, I don't want to have to wire in load resistors for each bulb.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:29 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
There are so-called "canbus" LED bulbs that have an integrated resistor.

A word of caution... many aftermarket LED bulbs are very dim. Check that you can actually see them on a sunny day.

Here's the speaker on the back of the speedometer. In addition to the turn click, it also emits other various sounds (warning pings, etc).

Old 12-07-2016, 04:29 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
There are so-called "canbus" LED bulbs that have an integrated resistor.

A word of caution... many aftermarket LED bulbs are very dim. Check that you can actually see them on a sunny day.

Here's the speaker on the back of the speedometer. In addition to the turn click, it also emits other various sounds (warning pings, etc).
Oh, excellent! I had completely forgotten about canbus bulbs, I'll order some for the turn signals. That will fix my hyperflashing, won't it? And yes, my bulbs appear to be plenty bright, at least brighter than the stock incandescents.

That's interesting about the speaker, didn't realize some cars did that.