Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

P0300 and P0128 - Oh boy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016 | 08:34 AM
Dinicord
|
Neutral
P0300 and P0128 - Oh boy!

Hi Folks... As a new member I hate to start off membership with a "help" thread, but I do need help!

So this is my second go in a MINI - love 'em! Had a 2002 - sold it. Just picked up a 2012 (base) with 36,000 kms - two weeks ago!

Has been running fine, although usage has been limited. Two days ago, the check engine light came on and I noticed that the radiator fan was not turning off. Car ran ok except for the fact of a hard start and then just a little bit of a rough idle.

Started the car up last night. Again, fan does not turn off but it idled really roughly. This time I hooked up my OBD II reader. I get P0300 - multiple engine misfires (basically all cylinders) and; P0128 - cooling system issues. It apparently generally means that the car is running cooler than expected specs?

Could these be related? Is the thermostat issue causing the car to run rich and causing the misfire?

Other than ripping a hole into the dealer that sold me the car, where would you suggest I start to figure out the resolution?
I thought the crankcase was overfilled with oil and was worried that maybe that was causing the issues, but it seems fine (long story).

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm looking forward to a longer ownership this time and some healthy conversation on this forum!!

Old 12-19-2016 | 03:56 PM
atlas8000
2nd Gear
Park your car and get it towed to a trusted Indy shop for diagnostics. Don't make the mistake I made of trying to troubleshoot a misfire and ending up with a dead engine.

Old 12-28-2016 | 10:36 AM
scottselk
1st Gear
I have an 08 Base that the thermostat was stuck open I say that because as the weather got cooler earlier this month the car would not even get above 110 degrees after driving for 30 plus minutes. during this time the car would start fine and drive fine but if I tried to let it sit and idle it would lope from around 750rpm down to less than 400 to over 1000 once warm it would still do so. I finally ordered a thermostat housing and changed it. Since then no issues with the idle loping or any codes except for the O2 sensor that has been on for over 40k miles, yes 40K. My recomendation would be to run it and if your ODB2 reader has the ability to monitor sensors see where the engine temp gets to.