Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Loud exhaust on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 10:45 AM
wmsue
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loud exhaust on deceleration

Hi all,
I've got a 2013 R57 non-turbo, 83K miles. It's my daily driver and put about 100 highway miles per day on it. About 1 month ago I started getting a loud exhaust sound on deceleration. I always drive it in sport mode. It's getting louder and louder each day. Today it sounds like a low flying jet. But only on deceleration and not at idle or when revving while parked.
I did a visual check and cannot find anything loose, o2 sensors are tight, no visual cracks in the welds. And no sound of leaks at idle or even when I placed my hand all over the exhaust pipe when running. I'm posting a photo of the first muffler and cat. There is a bit of rust on both but no holes that I could find. I did notice that the temperature of the muffler in the center did get warm to the touch as the car warmed up, but the inlet and outlet side stayed cold. I had it running for over 5 minutes and the inlet and outlet never warmed up. I'm thinking the inside of the muffler is gone.

Is this a common problem with mini's?
I don't know of any way to know for sure without replacing it. Right?
Cost? Availability?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanks much

Bill

Attached Thumbnails Loud exhaust on deceleration-exhaust-mini.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 07:45 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I do believe that first muffler is a resonator. I deleted mine, went with a straight pipe on my 2011 MCS, just to give it a bit more sound. I would say that any resonator of the same length and diameter pipe would work just fine. Or, straight pipe it. I don't think it will be much louder with a straight pipe, honestly. I do have my stock resonator still, but not sure if it's the same as a non-S. If you find out that they are the same, and want to buy mine, let me know. It's in great shape, has maybe 40k miles on it.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:56 AM
wmsue
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks renchjeep,
I believe they are different parts.
For the price of a new or used resonator, I can turn up the radio.