Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Melting headlight trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:10 PM
beatenpath
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melting headlight trim

Hi everyone!

I just bought a 2010 JCW Convertible. It's a fun little car to drive and I'm slowly learning about it.

I tried to search for my issue but didn't come across anything. I have halogen headlights and I noticed that the chromed plastic trim around one of them appears to have deformed from heat.

Is this a common issue?

Last edited by beatenpath; 01-31-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: I have halogen headlights, not xenon ones. Duh!
Old 01-26-2017, 09:56 AM
beatenpath
Neutral
I guess I can't post a pic yet since I'm new.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:45 PM
beatenpath
Neutral
Picture!
​​​​​

Old 01-27-2017, 08:13 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Those are actually the halogen headlamps, and I can't say I've seen that issue pop up on here before. That's the trim that is on the inside of the headlight, right? Maybe the previous owner replaced the halogen's with HID's or something and they're producing too much heat?

Old 01-27-2017, 09:34 PM
beatenpath
Neutral
Sorry my mistake. I don't have the original window sticker to tell me what options I have.

But yes it is the internal trim piece that is melted. I take it you can't remove that piece.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:17 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by 3lusive
Those are actually the halogen headlamps, and I can't say I've seen that issue pop up on here before. That's the trim that is on the inside of the headlight, right? Maybe the previous owner replaced the halogen's with HID's or something and they're producing too much heat?
exactly my thought ....

the headlight is sold as a 'unit', no individual pieces that I've ever seen. Some folks HAVE used heat to open them up and paint the inside, so I suppose you could swap a part, but where to get it? A salvage yard would be best shot but then why not just get the whole thing .....

p.s. saw something similar a while back when I was brought a car where the headlights were shorting out. I discovered that all the wires inside the unit, and the feeders close to the plug had all the insulation baked to a crisp. It had gotten brittle and was flaking off the wires leaving bare copper which eventually touched. TOO HOT bulbs was my only guess altho 'normal' ones were in there when the owner bought the car recently ... Only fix was to replace both headlight units in their entirety.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 01-30-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:31 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
If you want to know the exact options your car came with, check out bmwvin.com and enter the last 7 digits of your vin to get the build sheet. It won't tell you what packages like Sport package, Tech package but it'll give you all the individual options that came in those packages.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:14 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Those are obviously the halogen headlights. I had the same on my 2011 MCS until I recently upgraded to projector beams. Previously, in the search for better lighting with my stock halogens, I bought some 80/100w headlight bulbs on eBay. They were a bit brighter, but I noticed that the reflector was starting to discolor from the extra heat generated by the higher wattage bulbs. Not the top trim piece inside the headlight assembly, like in beatenpath's pic, just the reflector. But I am still going with 3lusive...some previous owner tried to fit some kind of aftermarket bulb, and it generated too much heat, warping the internal chrome trim.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:29 AM
beatenpath
Neutral
I wish I could just repair that melted area. Sigh!

I guess when it starts really bothering me, I'll start researching some headlight alternatives...