Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Strange clacking sound from engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Strange clacking sound from engine

I have an 02 cooper s and there is a strange sound and it may be normal but since this is my first mini and first supercharged car I wanted to see how to fix it if there is a problem.
The car runs and drives just find except when i give it around 1/3 to 1/2 throttle it sounds like it needs to clear its throat but at full throttle it sounds find and I just here the whine of the supercharger. This may be different then what is in the videos below but this is what I hear at a stand still and trying to identify what it is because I could not find a video like this

Old 02-12-2017, 04:23 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
Sounds like your chain tensioner is going bad. Do a search for that and you may well find similar videos. Fairly easy replacement.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
yes that does seem to be the type of noise the so I will probably replace that
(video by MOD MINI but in his video there was still noise at the end when he started it so it must be normal then?)
The only other thing would it be that the spark plugs are bad or injectors. Oil is always checked and at correct level so that is out

Old 02-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
this was also though after I got home from driving it and was at full operating tempature

Old 02-15-2017, 03:00 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Another clip of strange sound

this sound seems to go away after warming up for a bit "most of the time but wondering what all these are if its the lifters for the valves or injectores or flywheel was something i found just trying to narrow it down so I can possibly or some stuff to fix it. I really want to know if it is or isnt the supercharger because I dont want to break it but sersiously cannot take it all apart in the near future. You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Old 02-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
I found the part that is making the ticking sound in the first 2 videos and it is the piece with the yellow plastic cap going into engine block i believe and have no idea what it is

Old 02-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
ok so it looks like it is one of the fuel injectors anyone know any good ones that are not a lot of money?

Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
so the manifold is broken that seems to be the cause of the clicking ticking and rattling and the injectors just make that bit of noise.