Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Hole in crankcase.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:07 AM
timcluff
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hole in crankcase.......

Completed my engine rebuild and had the mini dealer time it. I started it in the bay and fired up just fine. Drove around for like 3/4 mile with the tech and no boost from the turbo... Turbo looked a little wet by the feed line so maybe feed line is bad or something. Anyway paid the arm and leg mini charges for service drove away and a block later power is gone oil pressure light comes on and smoke is coming from the hood... I pull over and oil is dripping everywhere on the underside. This morning they put it on a lift and discovered a hole in the crankcase by the downpipe. So my question is where can I find a crankcase replacement. I don't wanna buy another whole block just to pull the crankcase off of it. Would a junk/salvage yard be my best bet? $4k deep in this already

Old 03-06-2017, 09:13 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
What caused the hole? I would think something internally failed..

Old 03-06-2017, 09:15 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Yup, find a rear end wreck Cooper S with the same motor.

Or part it out and cut your losses. I would be scared what the condition of the block is in with a hole like that.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 AM
timcluff
1st Gear
I would assume so, maybe a bolt came loose from a rod or an oil spray nozzle under a cylinder. I don't know yet I am gonna pull the crankcase off this week sometime to find the exact cause. I just wanna find another crankcase rather than having to spend a bunch for a block just to use the bottom part since my bore is 77.5 mm for the new pistons I put in.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 AM
timcluff
1st Gear
If I see any damage on the cylinders I'll look into a complete engine from Mini Mania for 5695 and have it and just pull parts from it if my parts fail.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:26 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
You paid an arm and leg and you are NOT going back to the dealer for a recourse!!!!!!

If i were you , i will sue them and with settlement money buy the office and fire everyone..lol

Seriously, why doesnt the dealer fix this issue. no warranty on their work?

Old 03-06-2017, 01:45 PM
timcluff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
You paid an arm and leg and you are NOT going back to the dealer for a recourse!!!!!!

If i were you , i will sue them and with settlement money buy the office and fire everyone..lol

Seriously, why doesnt the dealer fix this issue. no warranty on their work?
Would you think is their fault? I did the rebuild up to the timing. They installed the cams and put a new vacuum pump on and timed the car. I did everything else. Would it being out of time cause something like this?

Old 03-06-2017, 02:33 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
I didnt know you did half the work. Did you install the pistons or cranshaft? Did you do any bottom work?

Since the engine needs to get out, take the oil pan and see what broke it. That could be your lead as to whose fault it is. Also take the valve cover and see what is up there.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:56 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Man that sucks. My thought is that since you built the bottom end you will never get them to admit fault. My 2 cents is something in the bottom end came apart. Until you pull it apart you won't know what damages you have. You may need much more than a crankcase.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:53 AM
corykueber
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PM me. I have a freshly honed block with crank