Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Slick53jcw
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant

So I still don't know if it's ok but my reservoir was low again and I can't see a leak but how could you tell if it's leaking into your motor I mean I hope it's not but I just don't know where it's going

Old 03-10-2017, 05:12 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
If the dip stick has chocolate milk on it, chances are you have a head gasket leak. I also read something that a garage can put a tester over the coolant fill tank to see if there are any hydrocarbons present. Antifreeze is not a CHO (nor a hamster cell).

You might have a leak at either the water pump or the tstat. It can leak here but with the engine, hot the fluid evaporates and you don't always see drip on the floor.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You can get a dye at the auto parts store and add it to your coolant...it will show up fluorescent with a special set of glasses (usually goes with the kit) and a flashlight. You should be able to see where it's leaking from...The first place I would check is the filler neck/thermostat housing.