Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Starts up second time, every time

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Moj Mini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starts up second time, every time

02 cooper, base, stock. 5 speed, 1600 NA engine. 103k miles.

Basically, the engine will turn over just fine. The starter chugs along, but the engine refuses to fire up the first time I turn the key. I go for a second try a few seconds later and it fires right up. Spark plugs and leads have 12k miles on them, i think the coil itself is original. I can't see it being anything other than fuel delivery at this rate, but once the car is on, it doesn't cough, sputter, misfire, or anything. It runs great. If I start the car warm, it usually fires up first try. Also on a cold start, just after the engine starts up, I hear a terrible grinding noise that sounds like when you try to shift without pushing the clutch in. I think the starter is having trouble disengaging from the flywheel.
So. Any suggestions? Anyone run into the same problem? I'm going to go have the battery and fuel pressure tested soon.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:34 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sure sounds like it's the starter. Maybe it's not spinning the engine fast enough to get it started the first time.

Could also be two separate problems but I would replace that sarter as soon as possible before it chews up your flywheel.