Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Alarm goes off when touch the positive cable to battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Rogers90
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm goes off when touch the positive cable to battery

I have a 2006 R53, had to replace my battery because it was near dead (had to charge it every night). Got the new battery in with the negative cable attached, now when I touch the positive cable the horn goes off, and won't stop until I untouch the positive cable. I haven't tried starting it when it goes off, not sure if that will matter. The battery before this one was after market and that never happened. Any ideas why this happens?

Last edited by Rogers90; 03-12-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:13 AM
gsfent
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogers90
I have a 2006 R53, had to replace my battery because it was near dead (had to charge it every night). Got the new battery in with the negative cable attached, now when I touch the positive cable the horn goes off, and won't stop until I untouch the positive cable. I haven't tried starting it when it goes off, not sure if that will matter. The battery before this one was after market and that never happened. Any ideas why this happens?
Not sure if I am much help, but I have always been taught to attach the positive cable FIRST, then the negative. Same with removal, negative removed FIRST.

Trying it is free..........

Regards,
Jerry