Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Looking for help diagnosing a front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 05:53 AM
legweak
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
SOLVED: Looking for help diagnosing a front end noise

SOLVED - So, on Sunday, I replaced the Front Shock Mounts (should have done it when I replaced the shocks). I also ended up having to replace the outer ball joints, which I totally ravaged while attempting to remove, and the sway bar end links, because one of the allen inserts got stripped out. I have zero front end noise now.

The only thing I replaced that was original equipment was the shock mounts, so that may have been the issue.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. It was, indeed, helpful. That's why this is such a great forum.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 AM
legweak
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
RE-SOLVED. I decided to re-check the torque on my upper shock nuts. Wow. I didn't have the nuts anywhere near tight enough. I determined that this is because I was isolating the nut and tightening the shock arm itself, which is accessible via an Allen wrench connection. The issue is that you can't get enough leverage - even with an extension - to properly torque the shock nut. to fix this, I isolated the shock itself and torqued the nut down, using a bigger wrench. Now it's tight like it's supposed to be, and I have zero noise coming from the front end.

Live and learn.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Thread resurrection...

I have the exact same noise on turning or going over a bump, sometimes, but not every time I turn or go over a bump.

My strut top nuts are tight. The bearings look as new with maybe 25k miles on them and are torqued correctly to the strut towers. The inner and outer ball joints are in good condition and not very old. No play in the wheels in any direction. The LCAs have been replaced including bushings and ball joints. The sway bar bushings and links all look good with no signs of movement.

I am wondering if it is a combination of my Madness strut top plates and/or the springs moving around a little. My struts are Koni FSD with stock springs. I can rotate the springs a little with the car on jack stands.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Old 07-22-2019, 01:30 PM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I think I found it. Small noise from right strut top and koni spring perch knock against the inner fender well. No big deal.