Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Pulling to the right.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Joseph Stanfill
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling to the right.

I have searched the forum and haven't found any thread that addresses this particular pull to the right.

2005 R53: When I am just about stopped, the car feels like it wants to turn right. It's not too bad.

When I am just starting to go from a stop, the car does this pull again, only this time a little more pronounced. The car doesn't pull either way at any other time, only in these two instances. The car tracks down the road like it was on rails. Thoughts?

Old 03-30-2017, 11:46 AM
DenisMcG
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I suspect that the front right brake caliper is likely sticking as you press the brakes, then releasing.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Joseph Stanfill
Neutral
Originally Posted by DenisMcG
I suspect that the front right brake caliper is likely sticking as you press the brakes, then releasing.

How would I go about fixing that? Pull caliper and clean? New caliper? Also, do you know a way to diagnose that this it the problem?

Old 03-30-2017, 12:51 PM
DenisMcG
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Jack the front of the car up so the wheels are off the ground. With the engine running and the transmission in neutral have someone press the brake then release it. See if the wheel will spin by hand right after the brake is released. Check both sides to see if there is a difference. I would do the same for the back as well. If a caliper is sticking, you likely just need to lubricate the guide pins.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Joseph Stanfill
Neutral
Ok. Thanks for the information. I'll try that and see if this is the problem.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:16 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Definitely sounds like a dragging brake but thankfully it's not severe. Might just be a stuck pin, usually a seized piston would be more severe.

I would spin the wheels by hand without running the engine at first to see if you can identify which caliper is stuck. You can also feel the wheel/brake after driving the car around to see if one is noticeably warmer than the other but it might not be effective because it's not dragging severely.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:24 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86
Definitely sounds like a dragging brake but thankfully it's not severe. Might just be a stuck pin, usually a seized piston would be more severe.

I would spin the wheels by hand without running the engine at first to see if you can identify which caliper is stuck. You can also feel the wheel/brake after driving the car around to see if one is noticeably warmer than the other but it might not be effective because it's not dragging severely.
I would not feel the brake after driving the car, you know how hot the calipers/rotors get, Also while we on the safety subject, please put your car on jack stands if you plan on running it while it's lifted.

just my safety 2cents

Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
I would not feel the brake after driving the car, you know how hot the calipers/rotors get, Also while we on the safety subject, please put your car on jack stands if you plan on running it while it's lifted.

just my safety 2cents
I should have clarified...and I know better because I'm a high school teacher.

"Feel" doesn't mean grab, "feel" means place your hand close to the wheels in question and see if you notice a difference in radiant temperature.

If you don't use jack stands we just call that "natural consequence."

Old 04-01-2017, 05:12 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
It could be the glides and not the caliper. If they are rusty/dirty and not shiny, try cleaning them and put some glide grease on. You can buy a little pack at most autopart stores.

The brake shops have made allota of money over the years on rusty/dirty glides.