Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Wastegate Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017 | 07:00 PM
goj210
|
Neutral
Wastegate Issue?

I threw a "Boost Pressure Control Deviation" code on my 09 MCS (thats what the dealer said). Supposedly most of the time this is a turbo wastegate issue. There seems to be a lot of wear around my wastegate valve, but admittedly I don't know what a "good" wastegate valve looks like.

See below for a video of me using a vacuum pump to bring it up to 15 in Hg.

https://goo.gl/photos/KPtYbJpisbjkHCxVA

Do you guys have any thoughts? Time to replace the turbo? If so, any recommendations on how to do it cheaply?

Old 04-13-2017 | 12:02 PM
dmyer
3rd Gear
If it does not close completely every time under the correct vacuum, the pivot shaft is worn out and binding. I had same issue... worked sometimes... other times nada and just got worse from there. A new turbo was the cure and made a huge difference how the car ran... codes / 1/2 engine light went out within 30 minutes of correct operation. I believe you can get a new turbo for about 975 from either WMW or ECS. Including all the new exhaust manifold gaskets, nuts, CAT Clamp, some studs etc. (I did mine right) it was about 1,100 finished doing it myself. Do not be fooled by the allure of a rebuilt for a few hundred less... they have a 1/2 worn out wastegate!

Last edited by dmyer; 04-13-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2017 | 01:06 PM
vincedprince
1st Gear
Posting on here instead of starting a new thread.

So we have a 2885 stalker code and coming from a lot of reading, might possibly be a wastegate issue. So took a peek without removing the downpipe and ended up with this:

Pulling the shaft up and down (towards and away from front of car) has movement and I do know it's suppose to be tight. Car has 63K miles and I read that turbo exhaust housing failure commonly occurs around 60K.

My question is... is it better to get the turbo housing or just get a whole turbo assembly? Where did you guys get yours? Thanks!