Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Warm air blows, even with the temp dial turned all the way down

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017 | 06:09 PM
arro
|
1st Gear
Warm air blows, even with the temp dial turned all the way down

I have the manual A/C unit, and even with the temp dial turned all the way down the air blowing in the cabin seems remarkably warmer than the air outside (with the A/C turned off).

I'm thinking the heater damper (?) is mispositioned so there is always hot water running across the manifold (?).

Thoughts? Any idea where that valve would be?

Old 04-19-2017 | 06:19 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Have you checked your Freon?

Old 04-20-2017 | 04:28 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
With how small these engine compartment are, I've never been able to get cool air in a MINI without the A/C. The vents pass right through the hot compartment and the outside air just gets too heated up - even on a 50F day.

I would say what you're experiencing is pretty normal for a MINI.

Old 04-25-2017 | 10:41 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
I haven't checked, but the outside air intake route shouldn't pass through the engine bay. I'll have to go check under the bonnet, but most cars have a rubber seal that prevents engine bay air flow to enter cabin through vents at base of windshield.

Ok, made me go look. Went out, popped the bonnet up and there's definitely a seal to keep engine bay air out of the flow to the cabin air intake. Make sure your's is there or at least intact. Also check that you are set to fresh air intake, and not recirculation.

Old 04-25-2017 | 12:12 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes, it seems it's always a little warm. Might be the blend doors that always stay a little open.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-29-2017 | 02:24 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
if you go back to the beginning days of MINI .... including on this site ... there was a lot of discussion/complaining about the heat in the footwell area.

Without going into detail, this is where the exhaust runs and also close to the air ducts and heater pipes.

I know how I solved this: the climate control HAS a selection to turn the a/c off?????

esp'ly on the R-59, our a/c ain't seen OFF yet! Often adjusted to just the footwells

Old 04-30-2017 | 05:20 PM
TG.
6th Gear
I can confirm that on very long drive, the driver's foot well gets hot at some point. I always figured that there isn't a lot of airflow in the engine bay, and probably not enough insulation by the firewall. So over long distances the heat builds up under there. It's not to the point where it's unbearable, but I have never experienced this in any other car.

Also I believe the roadster has some adjustment done for when the top is down. May not be your issue but when the top is down (for a set A/C temperature) it won't be has hot in the winter as it would be with the top up, or as cold in the summer it would be with the top up. And I'm talking about the air coming off the vents. Because for obvious reasons the effectiveness with the top down is compromised with the top down