Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

PCV Hose Leak? P2188

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017 | 08:59 AM
Mellow Moto
|
1st Gear
PCV Hose Leak? P2188

Hey everybod,

I had P2188 CEL pop up recently on my 2009 Mini Cooper S and I'm thinking it has something to do with my PCV hose or my valve cover.

When I lift my hood I can hear air escaping from the area where the PCV hose connects to the valve cover. I don't see any visible oil leaks or cracks around the valve cover. I can sometime smell gas when I am driving as well.

I'm prepared to replace both the PCV hose and the valve cover, but I would like to pinpoint my problem a little better. Is there any tricks I can do to hunt down the source of the air leak? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Mellow Moto; 04-20-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2017 | 08:24 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Here's a link to the code definition --- https://www.obd-codes.com/p2188

Sorry, I can't help with troubleshooting ---

Best of luck

Old 04-20-2017 | 11:28 PM
Mellow Moto
|
1st Gear
Thanks for your reply. Upon closer expectation it seems that the air leak is coming from somewhere around the first ignition coil on the left. I removed the coil and expected the area for cracks but did not see anything.

I believe it could just be the valve cover gasket, but I am not certain, and I'm thinking I should just replace the valve cover. Does any one have any thoughts on this?