Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

confusing fuel problem !

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
confusing fuel problem !

07 Mini Cooper s

When trying to give it hard throttle (smashing) the pedal down it struggles a little bit over 3k almost seems like boost cut or a fuel delivery issue ' it just stumbles a little bit then gets up and goes , now if you was to slowly roll into the throttle there's no problem ' or when I slowly roll into throttle getting it past 3-35rpms then smash the throttle there no problem ' if your driving normally around town an not playing race car doesn't have any problems

Doesn't have any start up problems nor any cels

When monitoring the feel pressure on the desh commander
Idle psi 800 to 850
At WOT 1450 to 1500 depending
AFR is staying in the 13 to 14 depending on situation so it's not go lean or rich

I have definitely done my homework and have narrowed down to four things ' and without any check engine lights it's just confusing and not sure where to start

Intake fuel pump or feed pump
HpFp
Map sensor
Or fuel pressure sensor

Just kind of want to pick some peoples brains before I pull the trigger on buying things

Car was carbon blasted
Has new plugs and coils
An much more thanks in advance

Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Dirty fuel filter?

Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Dirty fuel filter?
That's also on my to do list I'm thinking about doing that before I do anything else

Old 04-20-2017, 10:57 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
My pre-rebuild AFR was closer to 12 - 13. Have you checked post-turbo hoses for small leaks?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:37 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
[QUOTE=oldbrokenwind;4296062]My pre-rebuild AFR was closer to 12 - 13. Have you checked post-turbo hoses for small leaks?[/QUOTE

Yeh I did a smoke test at work ' an came up nothing !

Was that 12-13 under heavy load or ?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:43 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine sorta does the same thing....only likes wot with 100+octane.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:47 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
[QUOTE=BigBoost;4296078]
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
My pre-rebuild AFR was closer to 12 - 13. Have you checked post-turbo hoses for small leaks?[/QUOTE

Yeh I did a smoke test at work ' an came up nothing !

Was that 12-13 under heavy load or ?
Dyno chart --- comes down to 12 - 13 at about 4K and stays in that range up to red-line.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:25 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by randeez
Mine sorta does the same thing....only likes wot with 100+octane.
I have a Aquamist kit ready to install just waiting trying to figure out what's going on first

Can you elaborate a little bit more and what you mean it's sort of does the same thing

Old 04-20-2017, 02:45 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Mine would drive around fine normally, if you went to launch it and run it through gears it just wouldnt feel that strong. If you eased it up to about the same Rpm 3-3.5k and laid into it it would almost always choke up and make a brap brap like it was loading up for launch control. If i just let off for a sec and get back into it, it would get through it. See a little hint of timing retard data logging.
Swapped coils, fuel filter, in take pump, hpfp, plugs, boost sensors.
Put a couple gallons of 100oct in it just for the hell of it and runs fine, can mix about 50/50 100 and 93 and it's good. But 93 it just doesn't run that great.
Also ordered meth...on backorder tho

Old 04-20-2017, 03:11 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Intake off to see if any carbon build up, none. Pulled injectors and just cleaned up

Old 04-20-2017, 04:46 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by randeez
Mine would drive around fine normally, if you went to launch it and run it through gears it just wouldnt feel that strong. If you eased it up to about the same Rpm 3-3.5k and laid into it it would almost always choke up and make a brap brap like it was loading up for launch control. If i just let off for a sec and get back into it, it would get through it. See a little hint of timing retard data logging.
Swapped coils, fuel filter, in take pump, hpfp, plugs, boost sensors.
Put a couple gallons of 100oct in it just for the hell of it and runs fine, can mix about 50/50 100 and 93 and it's good. But 93 it just doesn't run that great.
Also ordered meth...on backorder tho

Did it do it before you want with the manic tune '

Cuz am running stage 2 map c straight flashed onto the ecu

Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 PM
randeez
4th Gear
nah, only after i swapped turbo, I still only have manic stage 2 tune in mine, this problem came up and i wanted to figure out what the problem was before i bothered to retune it. Im thinking the timing, set up for stock turbo, isn't happy with the extra boost bigger turbo is throwing at it. ....and you prob should stick to map B until you get meth on.
*my* map C is only for meth/100 octane, if you dont have a switch i would try to find some higher octane and blend it till you do get the meth going (or maybe try octane booster? i've never tried them but some people say they work) it gets expensive @10/gal though... havent been driving mine so much lately

and this is literally ongoing as we speak for me too, lol... just figured out it likes the higher octane a week or two ago, ordered the meth, still need to get tuned up

Last edited by randeez; 04-20-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BigBoost
07 Mini Cooper s

When trying to give it hard throttle (smashing) the pedal down it struggles a little bit over 3k almost seems like boost cut or a fuel delivery issue ' it just stumbles a little bit then gets up and goes , Is this from a standing start or are you cruising then trying to pass someone? If you drive it like you're at a drag strip, does it perform as it should, or does it hesitate / stumble? now if you was to slowly roll into the throttle there's no problem ' or when I slowly roll into throttle getting it past 3-35rpms then smash the throttle there no problem ' if your driving normally around town an not playing race car doesn't have any problems

Doesn't have any start up problems nor any cels

When monitoring the feel pressure on the desh commander
Idle psi 800 to 850
At WOT 1450 to 1500 depending
AFR is staying in the 13 to 14 depending on situation so it's not go lean or rich

I have definitely done my homework and have narrowed down to four things ' and without any check engine lights it's just confusing and not sure where to start

Intake fuel pump or feed pump
HpFp
Map sensor
Or fuel pressure sensor

Just kind of want to pick some peoples brains before I pull the trigger on buying things

Car was carbon blasted
Has new plugs and coils
An much more thanks in advance
The way it was explained to me was --- map "C" is for the highest fuel / WMI mix your stage is capable of, and has the most extreme settings for performance. Map "B" should be for your normal driving. Map "A" is for "economy" or maybe long trips --- lotsa cruise control. Base map is for dealer visit or emergency. If you don't have the Manic switch box you should consider ordering one and get the full set of maps for your car. Running map "C" all the time, without proper fueling, has got to be tough on the engine.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:04 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
See I wish I would have know that before flashing it to map c !
But the company I had reflash it for me ' told me that i wouldnt have a problem ,
An now am kind of stock with it cuz I didn't get the controller or switch , an on top of that they sold/told me to get plugs that I didn't need! Witch ended up not working
Was not to happy with the whole deal

Now that I think about it! When I was running a the stock turbo it was really bad
Now that am running a GTD 47mm / ILKR8E6 (1422) / IP ignition coils an a different intake set up its getting better! Going to be putting the meth kit in this week end

Maybe next fill up I'll run a e30 mix's 70% 93c an 30% e85 if I don't get the meth kit in before then

It's a real hit and miss !

So say am at a stop light an I go to lunch off the light it will rip through all the gear's with no problem.

Now let's say am cruising along at 35mph in 3rd gear at 25rpm's and go to wot as soon as it hits 3' it starts to struggle then or like a boost cut or fuel cut then after 3,500rpm's then it kicks in with out a problem an would never know a difference .... this is goofy part it's never consistent sometimes it happens and sometimes it don't

Am mechanic by trade but this is just got me so confused !!! Maybe it is a tuning problem and not fuel delivery issue !!

Last edited by BigBoost; 04-21-2017 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 04-21-2017, 06:46 AM
randeez
4th Gear
i tried mixing e85, i still had issues. but i think i went a little overboard with the ratio. didnt realize half tank on the gauge for my car is only 3-4 gallons at best
you may be in the same boat i am though even on map B and 93, the meth will definitely help but not having a "safe" tune without it sucks

Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BigBoost
See I wish I would have know that before flashing it to map c !
But the company I had reflash it for me ' told me that i wouldnt have a problem ,
An now am kind of stock with it cuz I didn't get the controller or switch , an on top of that they sold/told me to get plugs that I didn't need! Witch ended up not working
Was not to happy with the whole deal

Now that I think about it! When I was running a the stock turbo it was really bad
Now that am running a GTD 47mm / ILKR8E6 (1422) / IP ignition coils an a different intake set up its getting better! Going to be putting the meth kit in this week end

Maybe next fill up I'll run a e30 mix's 70% 93c an 30% e85 if I don't get the meth kit in before then

It's a real hit and miss !

So say am at a stop light an I go to lunch off the light it will rip through all the gear's with no problem. This is what map "C" is designed for, this and the track.

Now let's say am cruising along at 35mph in 3rd gear at 25rpm's and go to wot as soon as it hits 3' it starts to struggle then or like a boost cut or fuel cut then after 3,500rpm's then it kicks in with out a problem an would never know a difference .... this is goofy part it's never consistent sometimes it happens and sometimes it don't Try downshifting BEFORE punching it --- the trick is to be in positive manifold pressure (boosting) before wot.

Am mechanic by trade but this is just got me so confused !!! Maybe it is a tuning problem and not fuel delivery issue !!
If you can launch and go nicely thru all the gears with no problem, you don't have a fuel problem. Sure sounds like a tuning issue to me.

After you install WMI, consider getting the rest of the Manic tune, maybe even stage 3 --- with the switch box. You won't regret it!