Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine Warning Light orange - Safe Mode - Rough Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017 | 08:05 PM
Socaloverland
|
Neutral
Engine Warning Light orange - Safe Mode - Rough Engine

My wife's 2012 MCS (28,000 miles) had an abrupt engine noise occur. Engine Warning Light (EWL) came on orange color and engine went into Safe Mode. In addition, the engine is running very rough and sounding abnormal.
Has anyone experienced this symptom before? Any ideas as to the problem?
Engine oil is good. No weird smells. No fluids leaking.
Will ultimately have towed to dealer on Sunday.
My wife is so sad that her favorite car is sick.
Any thoughts on the problem are appreciated.

Old 04-24-2017 | 04:40 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Welcome.

Most likely (this is just a guess)... is Water Pump, and the second best guess is Timing Chain Follower... the plastic bit.

But let the Tech find what is going on with it.

Motor On!

Old 04-24-2017 | 04:53 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Good news is you have an N18 engine. Typically no major engine issues and we never see any carbon build up at the shop like the N14's since it has a newer valve cover design. Don't even need catch cans for those.

Guessing its could just be bad coil. MINI changed manufacturers for the coils in that engine due to some early malfunctions. There's a service bulletin on it.

Old 04-24-2017 | 05:19 PM
John Walker
1st Gear
Hello,

Abrupt engine noise and rough running sounds like an issue I had with mine. I had a turbo hose blow off just before it entered the intake. 10 second fix and I was back in business.

John

Old 04-24-2017 | 05:52 PM
Socaloverland
|
Neutral
Service advisor tells me that they examined the entire engine. They tell me it's probably bad coils and old spark plugs causing the problem. Seems like a guess. Why can't Mini be contingent in their diagnosis. So, I say yes to the $850 cost to do this?
I like John Walkers response that it could be a Turbo hose that blew off.
On a plane now, will call the dealer tomorrow and tell them to look for a dangling turbo hose..

Old 04-24-2017 | 08:31 PM
John Walker
1st Gear
Bad coils and "old" spark plugs at 28K miles? This dealer is full of it. Tread cautiously with these people...