Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

AC stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 AM
turboman38
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC stopped working

So I had the high speed fan on all the time. I changed the resistor pack with an aftermarket one and I still have the same problem. I'm not worried about the fan as it at least works.

The AC has stopped working (I live in Florida). I know its not the compressor as I have jumped the connection for the AC clutch and the clutch engages fine. I have tested the relays for both the high and low speed fans and they both work. Here is the weird thing. The temp gauge inside the car is pegged when the car is cold and goes to the middle when the car is up to temp.

I don't think its an AC system issue as it was working fine prior to the high speed fan always being one.

What other electrical system controls the AC?
Should I buy a factory fan resistor pack...could that be the issue?

Please help! Thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 627 Likes on 556 Posts
Have you checked the pressures on the system? Below is short video where the guy tells you what is wrong based upon the pressure readings.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:25 AM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Now that was worth the watch...thanks for sharing..

Old 04-29-2017, 06:59 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Cenla Mini
Now that was worth the watch...thanks for sharing..
Keep us posted on what you find. The more info that members and vendors post the better WE all are.

There is so much information here that sometimes the search just cannot find what you are looking for. IMO it is better to ask the question that not ask at all.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:09 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by turboman38
The temp gauge inside the car is pegged when the car is cold and goes to the middle when the car is up to temp.
odd.

AC will not come on if it detects issue with the engine cooling fan assy. Same fan cools the condenser....

I had a TYC Brand R53 Cooling fan assembly in mine after OEM one first died. When purchased off eBay long ago, it was less than $100.00.

If ordering off the internet ( eBay ) you will need the Mfg Date of your MINI due to plug connector differences...having incorrect one after putting the car beyond service mode would not be helpful.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I suggest you verify you have refrigerant in the system. The compressor has a low pressure cut out. Next check the pressure on both high and low to see if the expansion valve is toast.

I also suggest that if you have not that you read through the sticky below on the fan/resistor issue. You should find info on what years have which plugs as noted by GrayRaven above.

Lived in Florida for over 20 years, do not want to think about a car with no AC once it hits mid-May.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-solution.html