Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Brown Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 11:59 AM
scotteast
Old School!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brown Coolant?

I noticed that the engine coolant in my car had turned a nasty brown color. When I had my car in for an oil change, I asked them to check it out. They came back and said there was a service bulletin and they had flushed out the cooling system and replaced the coolant. I asked what caused it to change and the Service Advisor had no idea. All he knew was what was in the service bulletin. I know many early cars had problems with the plastic coolant tank, but mine was fine and was not replaced.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'd like to know what happened and if I should be worried about my cooling system.

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:03 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine's brown too. I thought this was strange, until I found out most other 2003 Coopers also have brown coolant. It's pretty common. I took my car for the 23,000 mile servicing (Inspection #1), and while they are supposed to replace the fluids--I thought there was a flushing too--- my coolant is STILL brown.

Richard

Originally Posted by scotteast
I noticed that the engine coolant in my car had turned a nasty brown color. When I had my car in for an oil change, I asked them to check it out. They came back and said there was a service bulletin and they had flushed out the cooling system and replaced the coolant. I asked what caused it to change and the Service Advisor had no idea. All he knew was what was in the service bulletin. I know many early cars had problems with the plastic coolant tank, but mine was fine and was not replaced.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'd like to know what happened and if I should be worried about my cooling system.

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Its311pete
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Mine's brown too. I thought this was strange, until I found out most other 2003 Coopers also have brown coolant. It's pretty common. I took my car for the 23,000 mile servicing (Inspection #1), and while they are supposed to replace the fluids--I thought there was a flushing too--- my coolant is STILL brown.

Richard
The coolant doesn't get flushed on a inspection 1.

It's supposed to be flushed every 4 years.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:51 PM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
Mine turned brown within a couple of thousand miles from the factory. My dealer flushed it for me no questions asked.

As I recall, it may have something to do with the casting process when the engine block was built. I'm not sure if it was the sand leftover from the casting process, or if there was any internal rusting...... Better to be on the safe side, so I asked my dealer to flush it.

Edited to add: Oh, forgot to say, my coolant bottle had oily residue floating in it the first time I checked my coolant... At about 400 miles or so.

Old 10-03-2004, 03:29 AM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
usually when you see brown coolant its a blown head gasket. but i dont think after a couple of thousand miles of getting you car from the dealership brand spanking new is going to be a head gasket. probably the casting or something.

chris

Old 10-03-2004, 07:47 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
My coolant's been brown forever (...another '03) and I did check this out at the dealer. The coolant was chemically tested and showed to be fine except that it was.......well, brown. If there is an actual service bulletin on this that calls for a system flush I'd love to know about it.

From everything I've ever heard, I think you're fine w/brown coolant....chemically speaking. Not to worry. Can't hurt to notify your dealer and asked surprised, though....it is a weird phenomenon, and they just might fugure this mystery out one of these days if people continue to question it.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:54 AM
bodinski
5th Gear
I just pointed out that the coolant looked like pondwater, & my dealer flushed the system & replaced it without question. The replacement coolant they used is dark green instead of blue.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:22 AM
115hp
5th Gear
Are individual dealers flushing and replacing coolant for good customer service or is it actually MINI recommending that it be done because it would be beneficial? My coolant was tested, but not replaced.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:51 AM
scotteast
Old School!
My coolant flush was performed under warranty under service measure 17 201 03, so I would think anyone with brown coolant should be able to get it replaced at no charge.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:56 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Thanks! Is that a scheduled service? Did you just go in there and tell them that or did you do it at the same time as another service?

Richard

Originally Posted by scotteast
My coolant flush was performed under warranty under service measure 17 201 03, so I would think anyone with brown coolant should be able to get it replaced at no charge.

Old 10-03-2004, 10:57 AM
scotteast
Old School!
I brought the car in for an oil change and asked them to check the coolant because I had noticed that it was brown.

I'm not sure what the change interval is for the coolant if it does not change colors.

Old 10-03-2004, 12:03 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
imo, don't be surprised if the nice green (or blue) coolant turns brown again.

Old 10-03-2004, 02:33 PM
scotteast
Old School!
Originally Posted by jds
imo, don't be surprised if the nice green (or blue) coolant turns brown again.
I won't be surprised. Just annoyed. Very annoyed.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:53 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
Every car I have ever owned had brown coolant when I looked at it. I think it is a reaction between the ethylene glycol and the metal in the block. I'm very surprised if they replaced it, since if it passed a hygrometer test for coldness protection, the color is meaningless. Its like having a patient come in with green blood. No one would expect that changing the blood would solve the cause of it turning green! Sometimes the dealers just go along with what the customer wants, even if it makes no sense.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Jen
6th Gear
I spent part of this weekend at an auto repair shop owned by a MC owner. He had a group of DCMM people out for a "Tech Day". One of the questions that came up was brown coolant. He said in the 03 and earlier the coloration they put in the coolant turns brown and it is nothing to worry about as long as the level is OK.

The new coolant they are using is not supposed to do this.

Old 10-05-2004, 11:24 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
mine's brownish green. but my other cars that Ive owned have all been pretty clear blue-green color. I don't think the discoloration is a problem though.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:30 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
Remember that the Mini has an iron block - all those water passages are iron. Water + iron = rust = brown. No mystery there. Most coolants are considered "permanent" now - not like when we had to change them every year. They turn brown after a while. No harm done. Brown water transfers heat and does not freeze the same as green or blue water. Unless you are the Tidy Bowl Man, it should be no problem.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:48 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
all this time I thought it was aluminum...

Old 10-06-2004, 06:12 PM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The head is aluminium. The block is cast iron.

Originally Posted by kenchan
all this time I thought it was aluminum...

Old 10-14-2004, 08:47 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I’m with MINI USA. For anyone who is experiencing "brown water syndrome", please know that discolored coolants will in no way compromise the cooling or anti-freeze properties, nor will the performance of your car be affected. We can lend a hand if you feel you want to make arrangements with your MINI dealership to flush and refill the system. You can let us know at 866.ASK MINI. And, of course, you can call us with any other concerns you may have. We’re happy to help.

Old 10-14-2004, 09:17 AM
rcase13
4th Gear
OK so now we know the brown color is okay. Even though this is the only car I have ever had that did this.

But what about the mysterious way the coolant disappears. I have had to refill mine twice in 18000 miles. No leaks anywhere... It's like it's evaporating.

Old 10-14-2004, 09:31 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
For a second I had to look to see the date of the initial post because I thought I was having a 2002 flashback. This was a big problem with the early 2002’s, but not all. I do not believe anyone ever stated what the exact problem or cause was. As MINIDivision says, there have never any problems caused by this and I know many MINIs that have had this problem.

Old 10-14-2004, 12:49 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Could you please advise why the coolant turns brown. In my 62 years and probably 30 vehicles, never had this happen.

Originally Posted by MINIDivision
I’m with MINI USA. For anyone who is experiencing "brown water syndrome", please know that discolored coolants will in no way compromise the cooling or anti-freeze properties, nor will the performance of your car be affected. We can lend a hand if you feel you want to make arrangements with your MINI dealership to flush and refill the system. You can let us know at 866.ASK MINI. And, of course, you can call us with any other concerns you may have. We’re happy to help.

Old 10-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Jen
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rcase13
But what about the mysterious way the coolant disappears. I have had to refill mine twice in 18000 miles. No leaks anywhere... It's like it's evaporating.
I have the same problem. Have also had the dealer double check if there are any leaks and they didn't find any either.

Old 10-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My car drinks coolant like crazy...have had it replaced 3 times in 18k miles

Do we have to go to MINI to get it refilled? Or can i just keep refilling it myself?

Quick Reply: Brown Coolant?