Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56S Screeching after engine stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 05:46 AM
actasci
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
R56S Screeching after engine stop

OK, here is an interesting problem. After driving a little bit enthusiastically, right after stopping the engine there is a screeching sound coming from engine bay. It seems to me that this noise becomes more and more frequent.

Skippy is 150k kms old, stock except stage I remap, oil is topped up and after changing the turbo oil feed line she is not burning oil anymore. Guide rails, tensioner and chain itself are not older than 40k kms. And the clutch is 100k kms old, it still holds nice though. I don't know if they changed flywheel together with clutch or not, I'm not very knowledgeable about how clutch mechanism works.

I'm thinking it might be coming from flywheel or clutch because it sometimes comes after changing the gear and depressing the clutch too. It's not this loud though. It's probably the same noise but shorter and fainter when it happens.

Here is a video i just took, sorry for my English, and the place that i'm pointing is probably wrong because of the noise echoing.

And I hope screeching is the right term

--oh, and it doesn't matter if i stop the engine, in gear or neutral.

Last edited by actasci; 04-29-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:28 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
When the engine is stopped, the only moving parts to screech are the radiator fan and possibly the turbo coolant pump --- the one recalled a few years ago for causing fires. And these only operate at high temps.

There are some pressurized lines that could be losing pressure, and some vacuum lines that could be losing vacuum --- either one could cause a screech like this. Maybe check for fuel or coolant leaks? Inspect your vacuum line hoses for wear and tear? Both pressure and vacuum lines have one-way valves to prevent this condition --- you could have a faulty one-way valve somewhere.

Your screech is pretty soft, or low volume. Any chance it's happening while the engine is running, just not loud enough to be heard over the engine noises?

You might be better served by taking it to a Mini dealer or an indie shop that knows Mini's.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:23 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read some posts similar to your issues. It appears to be the Pressure Converter.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ering-off.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...sound-fix.html

Old 04-30-2017, 03:21 AM
actasci
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for replies guys.

yes it seems that it is the same problem. for future reference this is the part number. 11657599547

i didn't fixed it yet but i'll give you guys a heads up if anything else is the case.