Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56s oil psi light

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 PM
uglyr56s
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56s oil psi light

Ok so I've heard a ton of talk about the 07+ r56 Cooper s having an issue with oil pressure. So I have a 2007 Mini Cooper s 1.6 turbo 166k miles and it has an intermittent oil pressure light.

I am a lead technician at a shop so I figured I would clear the water and help out. When you get this light first thing to do is hook up an external oil pressure gauge. The "noramal operating oil pressure for the n14 is 10 psi at 800 rpm. And 24.5 psi to 43.5 psi at 3000 rpm.

When you hook you manual test gauge up and see the oil pressure is below the threshold you need to first look into your oil filter housing. It's a fairly cheap repair. Make sure there is no blockages. If there is clean with brake parts cleaner install new gasket and once again monitor your oil pressure.

If if there are no blockages you need to move your focus to the oil pump. It is located in the oil pan. Remove your oil pan and the plastic cover on the oil pump chain and check for "too much slack" in the oil pump chain. If there is too much slack it's a good idea that is causing you issue. If you've caught it in enough time you can replace the chain and your oil pressure will resume to normal operating psi.

There are a bunch of posts about this issue so I thought I would shed a little light if you would... like is said I am a master technician so if you have any questions or concerns reply and I will try to help the best I possibly can!

Old 03-21-2018, 10:17 PM
aalmutawakil
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the info. My light only comes on at Idle. I have replaced the oil pump, which was bad and guide and chain. where to next?