Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 - P2096 - Cranks but doesn't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:36 PM
CrueExistence
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 - P2096 - Cranks but doesn't start.

Hello MINI Fam,

I am having some issues and am hoping for any direction. I’m not used to working on cars on my own and since getting this beautiful beastly car I’ve been taking it to the dealership to get repairs done. However, I want to start taking care of her on my own. Well… I’ve let my car down.

Brief overview:
· Got code P2096
· Had some slight miss-fires originally
· Got a new job and can spend money on my MINI but….
· It had problems starting yesterday
· Today it won’t start. (Vehicle Cranks like a boss – Won’t start)
· Battery is months old – same time was told the spark plugs were good

Detailed overview:
When I started getting the P2096 and looked into it, it seemed that the main reason was because I was getting too much oxygen in and it wasn’t getting a correct combustion or a faulty CO2 censor. I put in injection cleaner as a quick clean to see if that would fix the problem and it didn’t. Was running just fine after the injection cleaner but now it won’t get past the cranking (unless cranking it for too long then I’ve had some success).
With the research I’ve done I’ve seen everything from faulty fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, air filter, coil, or a leak in a hose or inter-cooler boot/boots.

I really hate to sound like a noob/greenie but… honestly I am. I don’t know where to start, what to do to check half of this stuff or anything else like that. My dad has tools and my cousin is knowledgeable as well but I was hoping to get the input of some professionals/people with some experience.

Any help you could give me, or somewhere to start, would be SO helpful.

Thank you Fam,
CrudeExistence

Old 05-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
I am going to move this to the Problems/Issues folder. If you have not already done so, may I suggest you check that folder out as there are 42 threads dealing with P2096. How many miles on your car and what year is it?

There is an immense amount of information on the R53 here between the threads, the members and the vendors.

Welcome to NAM and I hope we can help you solve your problem.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:40 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This code will not prevent your car from running. You have a different problem happening. You need to check spark and fuel. It is really rare for a whole coil to go out. the coil pack shares spark at the same time with another cylinder. The engine will run if half of the coil goes out just not well. So check some fuses. Pull a wire and look for spark while turning over. Check fuses for fuel pump. and listen for the fuel pump as you turn on the car. usually you hear it spool up. it is high pitch. When the fuel pump dies it just dies. On my old mini I drove to pick up my son. parked and the car would not start. Fuel pump was dead. when I replaced it later the same day. It started right up.

2096 I am fighting right now. I usually happens because of a crack in exhaust manifold. or intake. But on the intake side it will affect performance of car. on the exhaust side it does not. so if you have not noticed anything weird like glowing exhaust manifolds it is probably that. But you might get lucky and it will just be a o2. I have replaced both of mine and I still have code.

On my old mini when I had 2096 I replaced the exhaust manifold and both o2 with used from NAM and the code went away.