Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Orange key light (no strikethrough) and car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Lopanda
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orange key light (no strikethrough) and car won't start

Dealer said car wouldn't start because of a fuel pump, replaced pump, fuel filter, spark plugs(they were burnt to a crisp), battery(autozone said it was bad when I went to have it tested), fuel pump relay. Now everything is getting power, I hear the fuel pump prime, the spark plugs are getting gas and sparking, the camshaft turns and I hear no grinding or bumping coming from the timing chain so I don't think it's timing, the only thing that is concerning is that there is an Orange key light that pops up on the dash everytime I put the key in. I've tried other keys with the same result, and I'm not sure what it means. The car will crank over and over but will not start. I also had an error code for a possible short to the MAF sensor but that popped up after we started working on things and may have just been because we had the filter assembly taken out with the key in the ignition. It's also worth noting that the battery was out of the car for 4 hours while it was being charged/replaced when I found out it was bad, so several components of the ECU reset. Any ideas?

Old 05-09-2017, 06:41 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I assume you have Comfort Access? Looked up the symbol in the manual, is what I found -

Remote control malfunctioning or, in
cars with Comfort Access, not
detected

The engine cannot be started. Have
the remote control checked, if necessary.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:40 AM
Lopanda
1st Gear
I don't have comfort access, and the same thing happens with all 3 keys, which is what I assume it means by "Remote Control"? So I'm not sure exactly what should be done here

Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 AM
Lopanda
1st Gear
ALSO -- the indicator lamp I have is JUST an orange key, there is no strikethrough like the lamp you are referring to. I just went through the manual again and there is 0 reference to the light I'm getting

Old 05-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Old 05-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Lopanda
1st Gear
It's like #14 but without the question mark

Old 05-11-2017, 11:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Might either be the transponder/key insert or maybe the key fobs need to be reprogramed?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-t-start.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-11-2017, 11:51 PM
Lopanda
1st Gear
I may just end up taking it to the dealership to have the ECU stuff done. I don't feel 100% comfortable with the emulator I have and really don't want to brick it lol

Old 05-12-2017, 05:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Yep, somethings up with the communication from the key to the car. Let us know what happens.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-12-2017, 06:05 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Sounds like the batteries in the remote fobs are kaput.

If it doesn't read the key due to low or bad fob battery, the immobilizer kicks in preventing it from starting.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:21 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Sounds like the batteries in the remote fobs are kaput.

If it doesn't read the key due to low or bad fob battery, the immobilizer kicks in preventing it from starting.
Wrong. I have repaired a second generation key with a completely dead battery due to being chewed up by a dog (really). This caused one of the microswitches on the board to stay "on" which drained the battery. I asked the owner several times if the key still started the car and this was confirmed. Key is still in use as far as I know after I replaced the case, switch and battery.

Also, in other parts of the world (not in N.A.) MINI will sell you a non-remote key for these cars which of course has no battery. The immobilizer system is independent of the remote battery in all MINI keys as far as I know.

If the engine turns over it's probably not the immobilizer system, as that's exactly what the immobilizer prevents (at least on our first generation cars). The orange key symbol is curious, but I'm pretty sure there are other issues here.

Bruce