Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Coolant tank hoses (what size/diameter are they)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017 | 06:14 PM
MrMini819
|
Neutral
Coolant tank hoses (what size/diameter are they)

Hello everyone, new owner of a 2005 Cooper S.

I am going to be replacing my cracked/leaking plastic coolant tank with a new aluminum one. I have ordered the Forge replica that reuses a stock cap instead of the cheaper ones with the fixed non-pressurized cap.

I want to replace the 2 hoses that are attached to the coolant tank as mine are starting to get brittle/cracked. Can someone please tell me with 100% certainty what diameter/size the hoses circled in red within the pictures are (example: #1 3/16" and #2 5/8")?

My tank isn't set to arrive until late next week and I don't want to start disconnecting hoses now to find out their size. Would be nice to order everything in advance and have it ready to go when the tank arrives.

Also, I want to buy a new OEM/stock cap to fit on the new tank. Can someone please provide me with the correct cap or part number to buy?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Coolant tank hoses (what size/diameter are they)-mini-tank-plas.jpg   Coolant tank hoses (what size/diameter are they)-mini-tank.jpg  
Old 06-03-2017 | 04:26 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Suggest you take the tank to a local autoparts store and they will have the hoses that you need.

Old 06-03-2017 | 08:34 AM
MrMini819
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by r53coop
Suggest you take the tank to a local autoparts store and they will have the hoses that you need.
Thanks for responding. Yes, that would be the obvious thing to do.

I live within the outskirts of the city and we don't have any big parts stores such as Advance Auto and Pep Boys locally. The closest one is about 60-75 minutes away.

I was hoping that someone may of known the sizes or could've helped so that I could order the hoses on Amazon and have them shipped to me before the tank arrived. That way I don't have any down time on my car with lots of back/forth and running around to do.

Old 06-03-2017 | 08:54 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
If you go to Amazon and type in Mini Cooper Coolant Hoses you well see all sorts of hoses and hose kits

Old 06-03-2017 | 08:57 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
I replaced the plastic coolant tank on our 06 R53 with the same metal tank that you ordered and I used the original oem hoses top and bottom and they fit perfectly. I also used the original clamps as recommended on this forum as they expand with the heat and do not bite into the hose as do often used aligator clamps. Getting the attaching bolts started and secured required my wife's smaller hands to negotiate the tight space and posed no difficulty for her. To check the fluid level, I made a dipstick out of a wooden dowel notched at two inches for half full, which was a recommended level. Works great. It's an easy diy(youtube). It has been sixteen months since the installation and all is well. Good luck.

Last edited by buzzsaw; 06-03-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2017 | 01:15 PM
Guke
1st Gear
I found a diagram of the coolant tank set up with the part numbers for the hoses on Real OEM.

They do not specify the dimensions. But here is the link to the diagram, and the OEM replacements from pelican parts.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0236

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...on=17127518581

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...%0917127518577