Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Coolant fan or resistor

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:15 AM
Rubidon
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant fan or resistor

My coolant fan is not working on low speed (?) how do you tell if it the fan or resistor? I am getting power to both wires at the three prong plug. Is there any way to jump the fan to see if it works at all?

Old 06-04-2017, 08:58 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Start the car and let it sit. You should get hot enough to trip the high-speed temp sensor. If both fans engage at high speed then either your low speed relay is shot or the resistor. There is a sticky thread here with the hows and wheres. I have the resistor bypass in place and have a spare "green" resistor in my car with a harness already soldered on with clips as the greenies do not appear to last as long at the goldies.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Rubidon
1st Gear
At which point does the high speed kick in? I had it at 234* yesterday and nothing.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Should kick on at 234 so if you hit 235 and the fan does not work than I would then get the fan into a position so that I could jump with a power lead to see if they run. If it runs with the jumper, then you need to check the two relays, one for the low and one for the high. I am thinking there is a switching unit fuse as well. Check out this thread that has the fuse and relays listed.

On another type of car the fans were not working, I jumped as above and they worked fine. I then found one relay and one fuse were bad.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nd-wiring.html

Old 06-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Rubidon
1st Gear
When i jump it, use either one of the red leads?

Old 06-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Rubidon
1st Gear
So I had to run a jumper from a grounded bolt to the black lead and a power jumper to the bigger red lead and the fan kick on. My guess is the infamous resistor!!
Side note, when it was hot yesterday I had power to both red leads.
Low speed runs through the smaller gauge wire and high speed runs through bigger gauge wire.

Last edited by Rubidon; 06-04-2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Read resistor mod thread.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Pretty sure the resistor does not impact the the high speed.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Rubidon
1st Gear
So the previous post I did with the car off. I wanted to check some other thoughts out. Went out started the car, no fan ( expected, not warm enough) turned on max a/c. Fan came on, low speed. Turned off a/c,fan stayed on, temp was at 190*. Turned a/c back on and moments later the high speed fan kicked on. Let run for a minute or two, temp never got above 195*. Turned off a/c again and fan went back to low speed.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
If the low speed is only coming on with the AC then I am wondering about the relay. Would think the relay has a set of pins for the power and that the circuit closes with either the AC call or a temp sensor call.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Rubidon
1st Gear
With a week of checking, I was getting power to the plug but the fan wasnt moving. Tried jumping it a few times with no luck. Replaced the fan this morning with one from rockauto. Now it works as it should.