Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help me locate a leak!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017 | 11:01 AM
siggie
|
Neutral
Help me locate a leak!

Hi!

I recently bought a MCS -03 with an oil leak.

This is how it looked underneath the car before I cleaned it
- http://imgur.com/a/NAY8u

and this is two days after cleaning it - http://imgur.com/a/TJc47

I got the oil pan gasket and the crank sensor o-ring replaced today but its still leaking.

If anyone has any ideas of what it can be, please help me out!

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2017 | 11:42 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
It appears the first picture is from the front looking back and then the second appears to be the back of the engine looking to the front. In the second pictures it looks like you have oil on both sides of the power steering fan.

The oil filter housing is on the passenger side of the motor and could explain the oil in the second picture on the left side of the PS fan. Also have you checked the torque of the valve cover, however, I am thinking that if the valve cover was leaking you would be getting oil on the exhaust manifold and you would smell it.

Also check your power steering hoses at the filler tank on the fire wall. You could have some oil dripping down on the heat shield that then could drip down on the engine. The power steering pump is above the fan and I am wondering if a leak there would work its way onto the motor.

Old 06-05-2017 | 12:03 PM
siggie
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by r53coop
It appears the first picture is from the front looking back and then the second appears to be the back of the engine looking to the front. In the second pictures it looks like you have oil on both sides of the power steering fan.

The oil filter housing is on the passenger side of the motor and could explain the oil in the second picture on the left side of the PS fan. Also have you checked the torque of the valve cover, however, I am thinking that if the valve cover was leaking you would be getting oil on the exhaust manifold and you would smell it.

Also check your power steering hoses at the filler tank on the fire wall. You could have some oil dripping down on the heat shield that then could drip down on the engine. The power steering pump is above the fan and I am wondering if a leak there would work its way onto the motor.
Im gonna have a look at the oil filter housing tomorrow, it only leaks when the oil level is topped up so thats where I think the leak comes from.

The mechanic I talked to said it was engine oil leaking but I'll check the hoses and the pump aswell.

Old 06-05-2017 | 01:00 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by siggie
If anyone has any ideas of what it can be, please help me out!
Looks to be engine oil for sure; I'm guessing valve cover if you've just replaced the oil pan gasket.

Top to bottom, this is the list of items prone to leaking oil on an R53. If you're going to keep the car and you want piece of mind, it would be a good plan to replace everything on this list. I have, and I'm happy to report she's dry.
  1. Valve Cover Gasket
  2. Camshaft Position Sensor o-ring
  3. Crankshaft Position Sensor o-ring
  4. Timing Cover Gasket
  5. Timing Case Internal Oil Seals (upper & lower, inside timing case while you have timing cover off)
  6. Timing Cover Crankshaft Seal (need to remove crankshaft pulley to change)
  7. Oil Housing Gasket
  8. Oil Housing Heat Exchanger o-rings (2 of 'em)
  9. Oil Pan Gasket