Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clutch time....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017 | 08:01 AM
tragedybysyntax
|
3rd Gear
Clutch time....

So, my r53 is a thousand miles till the big 200k! She getting some upgrades this week.. Installed a RMW shorty header, ordered OZ Leggenda wheels, and booked time for a new clutch. My worry is the shop only wants to do a oem clutch... I have CAI, full stainless exhaust, 17% reduction pulley, brisk plugs.. planning for a tune and injectors...can a stock clutch handle it??

Old 06-07-2017 | 11:27 AM
CSP
5th Gear
I don't know, but I have a "stage 2" Spec single mass flywheel conversion for sale if you're in the market!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...onversion.html

Old 06-07-2017 | 12:13 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
My car is at a well known Mini shop having a new OEM clutch put in it right now and the word as we discussed options was that the stock R53 clutches can handle upwards of 300 whp.

A good thought the same shop put forward was that the stock clutch is the weakest link in the drivetrain system. Clutches are cheap relative to things like transmissions. If you upgrade to a clutch meant for racing or high horsepower applications, it may no longer be the weakest part. What would you want to break first?

Do you anticipate your car putting out over 210 hp with your mods? That's what a later stock JCW R53 makes and they run the same clutches.