Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Torque settings, needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:12 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Torque settings, needed

The last time I had these brackets off I wrote down some Nm numbers for the E13 10.9 and the hex 13mm 10.9 bolts for the upper bracket. I don't recall the source and really would appreciate some feedback on this. My Bentley manual is not the best and I would rather not strip the threads in the block or the bracket. The only number I'm positive on is the single nut on top at 100Nm. Called Bentley but no help there. The previous notes I had said 38Nm (more probable 28-30Nm). Anyone able to verify or correct?

Last edited by sikamini; 06-08-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:01 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
From other sources I'm getting a max of 41Nm for an M8 10.9 fastener with a recommend .85 of max. This would be about 35Nm. I have the E12 torqued to 30Nm and I'm wondering if I should leave well enough alone or try for a bit closer to 35Nm.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:07 AM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know about you guys but the way Bentley organizes torque specs sucks.

Places that seem obvious for them to list they don't....like they should in every "install" section.
I find myself digging a lot. And in many cases they simply don't list them and sometimes it is difficult to identity what a part is and I have been around cars for years and worked on many.

If only we had a complete list in one spot.
I know the MINI TIS lists the torques specs more frequently within the sections.

Anyway....

Old 06-08-2017, 11:15 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by timski
I don't know about you guys but the way Bentley organizes torque specs sucks.

Places that seem obvious for them to list they don't....like they should in every "install" section.
I find myself digging a lot. And in many cases they simply don't list them and sometimes it is difficult to identity what a part is and I have been around cars for years and worked on many.

If only we had a complete list in one spot.
I know the MINI TIS lists the torques specs more frequently within the sections.

Anyway....
I agree one hundred percent. The procedure outlines are adequate, but the majority of torques are either not listed or some even incorrect. I hesitate anytime I have to look something up in that manual.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:31 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
So, I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. Since it's into aluminum I'll stay with the 30Nm. The range probably should have been 28-30Nm. Here's a source, perhaps not the best:
http://www.thomsonrail.com/Technical...nd%20bolts.pdf
Comments are still appreciated. There's probably a few here who do this on a daily basis.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:59 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some of the Pelican Parts technical how-to guides list torque specs, but not all of them.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:03 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ST3ALTHPSYCH0
Some of the Pelican Parts technical how-to guides list torque specs, but not all of them.
I look at those too, didn't find the right ones. Good resource though. I did ask them. Perhaps they will have a number.

Last edited by sikamini; 06-08-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:10 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ST3ALTHPSYCH0
Originally Posted by sikamini
I look at those too, didn't find the right ones. Good resource though.
Thanks for the mention on the articles! If we don't have them listed you can leave a comment in the comment box at the bottom of the article and our tech might know them and be able to give them to you.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-08-2017, 12:16 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Thanks for the mention on the articles! If we don't have them listed you can leave a comment in the comment box at the bottom of the article and our tech might know them and be able to give them to you.
Thank you. I just left a question in the comments.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:45 PM
timski
4th Gear
No disrespect Pelican but read them.
The tech says "I don't have the specs" on several articles. Calling you out. Ha

Old 06-08-2017, 02:47 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
No disrespect Pelican but read them.
The tech says "I don't have the specs" on several articles. Calling you out. Ha
Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. That is why I said he "might" be able to help the OP out. It depends on if he has access to them in the tech database he utilizes. If you look on several articles he gives out torque specs as well, when he knows or can access what they are.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-08-2017, 02:55 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. That is why I said he "might" be able to help the OP out. It depends on if he has access to them in the tech database he utilizes. If you look on several articles he gives out torque specs as well, when he knows or can access what they are.
I would much appreciate if he was able to get these torque numbers. Thank you. I've looked and I know y'all do give some and I've appreciated the outlines y'all provide.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:45 PM
timski
4th Gear
Any help at all is appreciated when working on these cars especially the first time. Not knocking Pelican at all. I searched many sources for specs. Many times the work steps say "installation is reverse of removal" and that's it. really? What are the torque specs?

Old 06-08-2017, 05:00 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Any help at all is appreciated when working on these cars especially the first time. Not knocking Pelican at all. I searched many sources for specs. Many times the work steps say "installation is reverse of removal" and that's it. really? What are the torque specs?
Shop manuals for the MINIs are not what they should be. When I first started working on cars I had at least one Bentley manual and it was great. This one is very weak on torques. I previously looked at the other side of the engine and used torques of similar bolts, but I'd like to this time have a more definitive number.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:40 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
When I bought my '07 in late '10 I also bought a disc with all the TIS stuff on it, including their torque specs. Unfortunately, they use a coding system in their procedures which refers you to a chart. However, this chart also has a description of the hardware. Now, this TIS is only for the first year or so of the 2nd gen Mini's and earlier. Not knowing your model year, I can't say the contents will do any good for you, but, if you'll describe the brackets and / or what they bolt to (sorry but I don't recognize the parts from your pic), I'll attach a copy of the applicable torque spec chart for you --- if you want it.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:05 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
2009 JCW right side engine mount brackets. The E12 M8 10.9 bolt a bracket to the block, the upper bracket 13mm hex M8 10.9 bolt to the lower bracket and attaches to the frame motor mount with a nut torqued to 100Nm.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:55 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Just out of caution the 13mm hex M8 10.9 is now torqued at 35Nm. The lower E12 M8 10.9 I left torqued at 30Nm. The upper is most likely good enough. The lower I'll adjust if needed.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:46 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Sorry 'bout the delay --- got a problem with my PC and printer (obsolete and being phased out of my network). Had to manually copy from the PC screen and create a new spreadsheet on my Mac (current and online). Seems my TIS disc is only for windows and my Mac doesn't have capability to read PC stuff. I double checked all the data --- should be correct. Note that the "Tightening Spec" column is blank --- I included it anyhow.

The TIS info is for a 2008 R56 --- the latest available. Five procedures for "Engine Suspension" TIS #22 11, plus one for the rubber transmission mount, which I didn't include here. Also note that they don't refer to the hardware head type --- hex or torx, just thread dia, pitch, and length.

The two bolt heads shown in your pics have "10.9" and what looks like "5.5". The TIS refers to 10.9 and 8.8 but no 5.5 --- maybe this data isn't right for you. The illustration included in the "R & R Engine Mounting Bracket" procedure matches your 1st pic so that much is correct, and the attached specs are all from those procedures. Your 2nd pic didn't quite match any in the TIS tho, maybe hardware changed for 2009?

Anyhow, this is what I've got --- hope you can use it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Torque spec for NAM.pdf (31.7 KB, 97 views)
Old 06-10-2017, 11:10 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Thanks! I'm not over torqued at least.