Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Name that noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 04:42 AM
Real_Steve_B
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name that noise

Fiance took my mini to work and complained about a groaning noise when pulling out of parking spot. I drove it around didn't hear anything for 3 days until I pulled out of a parking spot. It's intermittent, usually only happens when the car is cold. Doesn't sound like a clicking cv axle, more like a old sailing ship creaking on the waves. I checked all the axle boots and they're good. I haven't checked the steering boots yet, and I don't see any signs of the tire rubbing anything.
https://youtu.be/wbIry_jzcSI
​​

Old 06-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
My hearing is not the best but on the video I hear a clank/bang early on and then a bunch of window squeegee sounds. If there was groan, I did not hear it.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Real_Steve_B
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The noise at the :03 mark is what I'm after. Groan/ clank bang, however you want to describe it lol.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Have you checked you motor mounts? The one on the passenger side and then the one under the middle of the engine in front that connects to the body.