Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 2005 water pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 06:26 PM
trashmanbob
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 2005 water pump

I have to change my w/p and I heard that there was a pump replacement that has a metal inpeller instead of the plastic one.
Any help

Old 06-11-2017, 07:19 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Haven't seen any of them on the R53 come with a metal impeller. But that hasn't been the issue on them as they usually just end up leaking.

But only go with the Original MINI pump as we have had many issues with aftermarket, even gates, pumps leaking. The Factory MINI one has a 2yr warranty, but we've had much better luck with them.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/r53-water-pump.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 06-11-2017, 07:25 PM
trashmanbob
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water pump

Thank you will take your advice

Old 06-12-2017, 04:56 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Yes I think there is a metal impeller type out there. Also think you only get the SC side as the portion facing the throttle body must be used from the existing.

The car must be placed in "service mode" and then you either have to take the supercharger off or remove the upper bolts from the throttle body to get the pump off. While in there it is logical to also change the t-stat and t-stat housing. If you are not somebody that enjoys working on motor that is made for the hands of an elf that works for Santa, then I would suggest you listen to Way and put the best pump on you can.