Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Pistons not even when flywheel lock tool installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 04:43 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by babygirls103
Thank you for the information. I do apologize for the incorrect usage of terminology. I definitely appreciate any help that i can get at this point. I do understand in regards to the difference of the cams ans the cylinders. I just think the way i worded it made it confusing so i do apologize. Im still a newbie learning lol. I do have a question in regards to you explaining the cam lettering to be "upside-down" or facing the bottom instead of up. Now that i have been able to lock my flywheel this seems to be my issue. I am trying to replace the timing chain and housing, along with the serpentine belt and oil pan gasket. I do have a new head gasket but im not sure how far i shluld dig into it now at this point because i found a piece of the housing of the plastic timing chain housing. If the lettering on the cams is upside down, then how do i correct that?
If flywheel is locked and cams are "upside-down", the cams MUST be either rotated or removed and reinstalled. Rotating is easiest, but only the cams --- do NOT rotate the crank as this will damage the engine --- as explained in my last post. Loosen either the crank bolt and turn the cams with the chain (easiest), or loosen both cam bolts and manually rotate each cam. If you don't have the wrench to rotate cams, remove and reinstall them correctly. Also note that the cam locking tools will only fit when cams are right-side up. The cams have only three flat surfaces to accept the tool. The fourth surface is curved and will be facing down when installed correctly.

Arrow pointing to the top "flat surface"