Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 PM
maximus16v
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Noise

Hi All,

Just bought my 04 Mini S last week. 58K miles on it. When I was looking I was trying to find one that had the clutch already done but couldn't find one even with ones upwards of 80-90K miles.

Anyway, this morning pulled into work and at idle there was a knocking noise coming from passenger side. Was scared it was an engine knock but after more investigating it goes away when clutch is depressed. So I'm thinking throw out bearing perhaps?

I'm more just wondering if I can just keep driving and deal with it when I do a clutch. There is no slippage at all. Can I keep driving until the clutch wears out more or do I run the risk of other damage?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Clutch Noise-mymini.jpg  
Old 06-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Passenger side is opposite from the transmission/throw out bearing. On the passenger side, check your belt tensioner (the little shock can be shot and the tensioner will bounce around), the passenger side motor mount (look for black goo coming out the bottom, the crank pulley (loosen the belt and see if you can push the pulley in so that it hits the engine, if you can the pulley is bad) and last the timing chain.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
Passenger side is opposite from the transmission/throw out bearing. On the passenger side, check your belt tensioner (the little shock can be shot and the tensioner will bounce around), the passenger side motor mount (look for black goo coming out the bottom, the crank pulley (loosen the belt and see if you can push the pulley in so that it hits the engine, if you can the pulley is bad) and last the timing chain.
I'm guessing tensioner. Just have a peek at it and see if it's bouncing around.

Mine is bad and I think it transmits the noise to the fuel evap thing on the passenger side of the engine.