Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2013 S Coupe Oil Filter Housing Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:11 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 S Coupe Oil Filter Housing Leak

They said the oil filter housing was leaking. Something about oil and radiator build both pass through this unit? Cost of repair was $1,284 at the dealer.

Anyone else had this issue? Is there any technical bulletins about it? Miles are 54,000 so out of warranty.

I love the car but if it costs $$$ to maintain more than normal deciding if I should keep it? My commute is 64 miles a day round trip. I need a dependable car. And yes the Coupe is fully loaded. Nice car.

Does any of this make sense? Thanks
Bill

Old 06-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
try this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hermostat.html

esp'ly from #5 .....

where are you in GA? If near Atlanta I'd take the car to WAY:
http://waymotorworks.com/

Old 06-29-2017, 02:19 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Way

Yes. I should have gone to Way Motors. Been there before for hitch and I can't say enough good things about Way Motors. They are great. Yes, a hitch bracket on a Coupe. I don't tow and only use it for a bike rack.

I am at the point I need a car that has no issues. I get up at 3AM to drive to work to be there at 4:30AM and home around 3:15PM. About total 2 1/2 hour commute that is only 32 miles one way. But traffic is terrible.

Mini Maintenance is I think 5 year 50,000 miles. I believe Hyundai is up to 60,000 but just about all cars are 50,000 and routine maintenance does not cover these issues.

Been looking at options in case the Mini is or will get expensive. Don't get me wrong, I do like Mini but at this stage of my life I need good transportation. And the only things that interest me are the Mazda hardtop or Cadillac. Not many two seaters out there and I don't want to spend over 50K.

While I work for the railroad as a CPA and I can afford a decent car I don't have the luxury of taking major time off due to car issues. And, while I may not be thinking clearing, my Dad and my wife's Mom passed away in the same two weeks so I don't have time to deal with petty issues.

So if this car becomes more time in the shop I will need to re-think this whole issue.

BTW, the wife has a Countryman and loves it. I just need to get to work and home and if that becomes a problem, well, I need to trade her in.

Lawrenceville to Atlanta Colony Square area. My lovely commute.

Bill

Old 06-29-2017, 04:06 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
don't confuse pre-paid maint' with warranty

Warranty is 4 years / 50,000 miles on my '15 R59 ....

you are correct that other vehicles can provide more .... but you need to read the fine print. KIA says 10 years / 100,000 miles on a SOUL. But that's 'powertrain' ... otherwise 5yr/60,000 ......

you want a car with 'no issues'

there isn't one.

'problem' with a MINI is the distance between service spots IMO

OTOH

dau has a Soul with 80K that has yet to see the dealer for a problem

had a Honda FIT until recently that had 80k+ with no dealer visits 'cept routine maint'.

Not as much fun as a MINI but ......

And my dd is a Focus ST which is 4 years old with no visits to the dealer 'cept oil changes: more HP, bigger Turbo, handling better by many comparisons, easier to FIND a dealer for service, and for the $ ya get MORE: 2 liter with strong turbo, full leather Recaro, SONY sound, nav, bluetooth, HID, all in 'the package (ST-3) ..... I paid under $25,000. Try to match that in a MINI.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:03 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by kg4fxg
They said the oil filter housing was leaking. Something about oil and radiator build both pass through this unit? Cost of repair was $1,284 at the dealer.

Anyone else had this issue? Is there any technical bulletins about it? Miles are 54,000 so out of warranty.

I love the car but if it costs $$$ to maintain more than normal deciding if I should keep it? My commute is 64 miles a day round trip. I need a dependable car. And yes the Coupe is fully loaded. Nice car.

Does any of this make sense? Thanks
Bill

Reading your story, I would get rid of the Mini and I am sure it is the reliable N18 engine.

I don't see any Mini in my future. The dealer network is so weak when Ford, GM and all Japanese are so close for service.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Major time off for car issues? Loaner or rental solves that. If you like fun cars ride out the issues with the MINI, use the Indy shop and save money.

As a CPA you are more than capable of crunching the numbers, how much of a hit do you take on getting rid of the MINI vs. buying into a new car with warranty.

Whatever you choose, best of luck!

Old 06-30-2017, 02:27 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
More

OK

I get the Maintenance verses Warranty. And most are 5/50,000 and Mini is no different. Pretty much is the norm.

So I guess my issue is not the fan. I did have a warning about overheating which prompted me to take it in. While in the shop they noticed the oil filter housing. I had the oil changed, and spark plugs changed per Mini maintenance plan.

They could find no overheating issue. And if I start the car the fan works.

So this morning it is broke again! Driving home after I picked up the car from the dealer I noticed periods when I went to accelerate it would not go. Other times were fine. No warnings. I have the Nav system in the center. Check vehicle all fine.

Then this morning it drives like it won't get out of gear then the check engine light comes on. The yellow light on the bottom of the center Nav that looks like a transmission.

I go to check system and all systems are OK. But the light is on. Just back from the dealer. So I take the wife's car to work today.

I took the car to the dealer on Tuesday at 7AM. I got the car back Thursday afternoon. Now it does not work. I am going to try the dealer closer to me as they were not there when I bought the car.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Oh, no sounds like someone dropped the ball.

Have you had it scanned for codes or used the schwaben scan tool?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-q-and-a.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172