Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The trials and tribulations of a failed oil filter change

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:42 PM
Tanner Stinson
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The trials and tribulations of a failed oil filter change

I'll try and keep this as concise as I can:

As some have may see, I posted a while ago about an oil pressure issue that I had, similar to many others however it varied slightly. I am a victim of my own stupidity. When I received the car, the oil filter was installed with the wide end slipped over the spring, essentially doing nothing, but I didn't know this at the time. In fact, I didn't even notice that until I realized I had no clue what end to put in, as neither end seemed to make sense. I looked at pictures, and it proved that the small end went in first, so I put it on. Over the spring, because I figured it was there, the plastic core wasn't there, so why should it be removed? It really did not feel right, and required a lot of force to put on, but that's what I had seen so OBVIOUSLY that's how I went.

5 quarts of oil later, the oil pressure light was still on. However, I could get pressure at 4500 rpm, then I would lose it at idle. Hm. Now it sounds like the valve that was missing the spring! Lets tear back into it!!

Yikes!!!

But, I did learn something: How the Oil pressure system flows

On the first picture, here my suspected use of each valve/passage:
1. This is the infamous "valve with the spring" where the spring typically goes missing. I believe this leads into the valvetrain, explained below.
2. Appears to be some sort of backpressure valve. It allows access into the outside of the filter, from the engine.
3. "Pressure Relief valve," The other infamous part. This is pressed down by the filter, and allows oil to pass in the event of an emergency (bypasses the filter, allows flow of oil through the engine still?)
4. The oil in passage. This is the passage where oil goes up into the filter

Not that on the second picture, 2 and 4 are switched.

My thoughts are this. Without the spring, the valve is left closed, not getting any oil into the head of the engine. It is opened once the RPM's are higher, hence more pressure on that valve. This is also where the pressure sensor is read from. even at idle, there is a slow trickle through the valve, but not great enough to turn light off.

Now, my problem was that the pressure relief valve was also opened, which was pushing oil back into the lower end rather than opening the valve to the upper end.

Now, this being said, I may not be 100% correct, but if so, why the valve going into the upper end? What's the purpose?

Comments are welcome, and as always, I looked but maybe not hard enough, hopefully this isn't a double post.

-Tanner

The following users liked this post:
sarom058 (07-03-2017)