Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2013 Mini Radiator fluid leak and codes triggered

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:51 AM
wmsue
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Mini Radiator fluid leak and codes triggered

Hi,
Thought it would be wise to ask before tearing into my car.
2013 Mini R57 - non turbo - 95K miles - automatic
This has been my daily driver for the past 4 years and haven't had many problems. I retired in May and went on vacation for 6 weeks. the car was not used the entire time I was gone. Upon returning I went to the store and noticed that the check engine light was on and the reservoir for fluid was empty. Codes P173B and PO128 were triggered.
After a short while of running I can see a leak coming from the front bumper area (slightly to the passenger side) however I can see small drops of antifreeze all along the bottom radiator hose, and the fan shroud. I see no evidence of leaks by the thermostat or the water pump but there really isn't much room to see. There is no leaking when the car is not running so I was thinking the radiator and bottom hose could not be at fault.
Any ideas?

My course of action was to replace the thermostat housing and look at the condition of the various hoses. After all I've been lucky to have not needed to change it so far.

What do you think?
I saw some listings for the part but they are specifically for cars before 3/2012. Mine was built 7/2012.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bill

Old 07-11-2017, 12:14 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
I think the first thing you want to do it dry it up, fill it with coolant, start the car and see where it starts leaking. 6 weeks is enough time for squirrels and rodents to chew on to the pipes!

take pix if anything and post them here.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:37 PM
wmsue
2nd Gear
For two days it hasn't dripped at all unless running and now it seems to be dripping.
Here are a few photos of where it's dripping.
After checking out the codes, I filled the reservoir and started it up. This is what happened. Everything was dry before and I could not see where the leak could have come from.
I did notice that the fastener and hose clamp in the photo show signs of rust. But not sure where the leak originates.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:43 PM
wmsue
2nd Gear
I did a thorough check of the expansion tank and could not find a leak. I checked it again while under pressure and didn't find any leak.

thanks

Old 07-11-2017, 12:46 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
it seems when build pressure in the system, it will start dripping. That area is uncommon for leaks. I dont know if rust corroded your radiator while you were away, but it seems like it is coming from between the radiator and bumper. You can remove the front grill and notice anything...

also, when you get the car to temp and turn it off, try to listen for hissing or smell of steam.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:00 PM
wmsue
2nd Gear
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'll put the expansion tank back on and clean the area up thoroughly and try to examine better. If I lift the car higher, maybe I can get a better look.
Since the fan kicks on as soon as the car starts (and stays on for a few minutes after shutting down) I think the leak is being sprayed all over.

Thanks, I'll let you know what happens.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:03 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Sure my friend...the fan kicks because it tries to prevent over heating and coolant is low...i also recommend investing in a coolant system pressure tool. That way you dont have to start the car and cause unknown issues.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:44 PM
wmsue
2nd Gear
Thanks for having me slow down and look over the problem.
Looks like the leak is from the radiator. Just to the back of the drip location, I have antifreeze dripping from a connector. The flat plastic piece is wet and dirty with crud. Probably leaking for a while.

I grew up repairing cars in the 70's and the mini is a bit different. I had a pressure tester for the old cars that would check the cap and the system. It fastened to the radiator. Do the new ones fasten to the expansion tank? A good place to buy one?

thanks

Old 07-11-2017, 01:50 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Im nit sure but can assume it does...search google for such and see where they sell them.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,023 Likes on 1,817 Posts
So its down near the neck? Newest part number is 17118675266 older part numbers 17117535099. Neck ones run the line from the to the side of the radiator. The expansion tank itself is up top on the driver side.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2013-...ling/Radiator/

Digram:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0392

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172