Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CEL with P0700

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:26 PM
db21637
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CEL with P0700

I tried looking this up but it seems my issue is not the same as what has already been discussed. I'm hoping to get some help that relates to my unique situation.

I have an '06 MCS R53 6 speed automatic with 81,000. I am getting a CEL with no other warnings, OBD II scan shows P0700. No mods. When I get the CEL the transmission goes to 5th and does not shift or the trans will drop to neutral and not engage. Shifting in and out of drive does nothing. Sometimes if I change to sport mode the trans will shift but shifts very hard. OBD II scan can clear code and 'reset' the transmission but only lasts approx 30 mins. I did a trans service with fluid, filter, and pan gasket, replaced both crush washers, cleaned trans oil pan and magnets, and refilled fluid at 'operating temp' as service specs state. Recent oil change, front and rear brakes & wear sensors replaced. I did a detailed undercarriage inspection and found no leaks, damage, excessive wear or even a damaged lower motor mount bushing.

The only info I can find sends me to some third party phone tech support that only tells me that P0700 translates to 'Transmission Control System (MIL Request)'. OBD II told me that.

A die hard Ford friend told me it might be a transmission valve body issue. I live in deep rural TX with no MINI service within 1-2 hours. I'm trying to avoid an expensive and multi-day consuming visit to Austin. Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks