Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

What's leaking? Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 04:12 PM
MF-DIF
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's leaking? Transmission?

So I was under the my 06 MCS automatic today and noticed a couple spots covered in oil. I haven't noticed it in the driveway so I'm assuming it's small. It's around that bolt and the two rectangular castings surrounding it.

I think the black box in the upper corner is the transmission oil pan. Is the auto tranny leaking or is it something else? It's a "checkmate" model if that makes any difference. I believe these came with LSD. I'd guess it shares oil with the main transmission box.

Just trying to trouble shoot it early before anything expensive starts happening.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues section.

Cannot tell from this one picture if you have oil seeping down the sides of the motor. If only on the bottom, then the rear seal?

Old 07-18-2017, 05:47 AM
MF-DIF
2nd Gear
Is that where the engine (left-half) meets the transmission (right-half)? Would an oil leaking from there come from the engine then?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:41 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
It appears there is red silicone where the trannie meets the engine. How many miles on the car and are you the first owner? With that silicone it would be logical to assume that somebody had the trannie off the motor in the past, or, loosened the bolts up, pinched the trannie over and squirted some silicone into the gap.

Use some motor cleaner, clean the oil off and then see where it is leaking from. Does appear to be motor oil and not transmission oil.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:31 AM
MF-DIF
2nd Gear
67k miles now. Got her with 58k. I'm the second owner, so I'm not 100% sure if any previous transmission work had been done. Reviewing the service records I received it does mention an oil leak that was rectified with a new dipstick. I'll take a look at the sides and degrease it to be sure.

When I did the oil change months ago that definitely wasn't there. Some leaked down from when I removed the filter, but I didn't expect it to still look so "wet".

Old 07-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
The dipstick will be on the passenger side of the motor, the trannie is on the driver's side. The crank sensor o-ring is about dead center of the radiator, about 3" above the oil pan. They can leak bad and it might be that. A $5 o-ring that requires the front end to be removed on the S model to access.