Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Shifter Very Very Loose, What could be broken?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:19 PM
Schultz8100
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter Very Very Loose, What could be broken?

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2003 R53 (97k Miles, 6spd, loaded) for $2,800 the car has a few problems such as a broken drivers side window motor (window is stuck about an inch down), some paint issues, etc. THE BIGGEST ISSUE however is the shifter which has a ton of side to side play (id say about an inch and a half) even when in gear which makes it hard to tell what gear your putting it into. The shifter can be moved from side to side with the push of a finger. In addition to this the car is extremely had to get into reverse (I wasn't able to get it in reverse but the owner can do it so I know reverse works) the trans seems to shift fine so I don't think it's an issue with the transmission itself. What could be broken? Has anyone experienced this? I was thinking that maybe replacing the shifter assembly would solve this or one of the linkage cables may be loose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.