Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Possible DMF failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 05:02 AM
Mini_Garage
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible DMF failure

Well i had my timing guides explode due to my timing tensioner failing in my 06 MCS 6MT. I cleaned the motor and replaced the guides, chain, tensioner, timing cover/oil pump and oil/filter. When the guides exploded the motor started to have this odd scratching metallic noise. I had a cracked timing cover/ oil pump which was also seizing so i replaced all of the stuff listed above. After all the labor the noise still persists...i have a belief that it could be the DMF (dual mass flywheel). My theory is due to a lack in power when the car grabs 1st gear- 6th (only been in 1st and second), the car hasa grinding metallic noise a lower rmps, the car has a hard time transitioning into 1st when trying to accelerate from a stop, and it stalls out when under load as you let off the gas (if you throttle the gas right its might save it but its hard. Also i used to have problems with the trans to where it wouldnt go into gear and also it was hard to shift when cold, along with a whining noise when releasing the clutch. Ill post a video so you can hear the noise. Also if anyone has had a similar problem with their car or had their DMF fail post a video if you have one! Thanks

Old 07-18-2017, 05:33 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Going to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

How many miles on the car?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:02 AM
Mini_Garage
1st Gear

Old 07-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Mini_Garage
1st Gear

did some investigating and found my issue...bad rod bearing