Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Hesitation Issue Resolved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:41 AM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation Issue Resolved?

So I have a 2006 R53 and had been getting some hesitation around 2500-3000 rpms. Not the normal flat spot our MINIs have, but almost a miss, but not bad enough for a CEL, and my mileage had tanked. The hesitation was only at partial throttle and wide open the car seemed fine.

I have a Dinan Cold Air, M7 16% pulley, and a custom Mynes tune on the car. I figured it was carbon build up or just maybe in need of a tune. So I did the following:
new plugs (went 1 step cooler because mods and I couldn't remember what I had put in last time))
cleaned air cleaner
seafoam treatment through PCV

After the tune it ran okay but had the same stumble, but maybe even worse. I checked the BPV and it seemed okay so then I tried:
BG-44 in gas tank
new wires
cleaned the coil connectors with a light sanding/steel wool

Still had the stumble and **** gas mileage. So I was thinking maybe its the plugs being colder? I ordered the correct heat range plugs for a stock R53 and installed a new coil pack, just because it was only $30 and shipping from the same place. I also ordered a new fuel filter just in case the plugs and coil didn't work.

Well after the new correct range plugs and cap, plus resetting the ECU (not even sure that mattered), it seems that the stumble is finally gone. I haven't driven enough to see if my mileage improved, but hopefully it has. I'll probably do the fuel filter soon, just because I'm sure it won't hurt.

I'm curious if anyone else has had issues with colder plugs and performance? When I pulled the colder plugs they weren't carboned up and looked pretty good from what I can tell, but for sure the car drives way better. I guess it could have been the coil too. I could throw the colder plugs back in and see if the stumble comes back, but I just thought I would throw this out there because I know a lot of people are chasing around this slight hesitation/miss at partial throttle. I wonder if we are thinking we need colder plugs since we have a few mods and are actually making the car run worse. After all this I remember Mike at Mynes telling me I should be fine with stock plugs, even with the car making 190 on the dynojet.

Anyways, if you have the same problem and were running colder plugs, this might be worth a try. Anyone else have any input to the validity of running too cold a plug? I never would have guessed 1 heat range cooler would make that big a difference.

TLDNR: I think running colder plugs was causing my partial throttle hesitation.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

On my R53 I would get a stumble/skip at around 2700 RPMs. I changed plug wires and the coil pack, issue resolved.