Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

ECU / ECM Repair Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:11 AM
bond_007
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ECU / ECM Repair Service

Have searched on here but haven't seen anyone who has a positive experience/referral for someone who can repair the R56 Engine Control Module?

Old 07-21-2017, 03:18 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
PM'ed

Old 02-04-2018, 12:39 PM
2009MinicooperSclubmen
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECM/DME Repair

After extensive testing using the Bentley repair manual instructions, I found my ECM/DME is defective. I got on the internet and found a company called G7 Computers out of Victor, NY and would like to know if anyone has used them? They have a variety of vehicle ECM/DMEs they claim to repair to include BMW, but not Mini. My ECM/DME shows the BMW logo and BOSCH, so I hope they can fix it. They advertise free testing, and quick turn-a-round, but you have to pay upfront. I have not sent it to them yet, so I am open to see what others have used for repair service.

It's a sad deal. My Coopers right side drain from the sun roof was not attached to the drain tube in the A-pillar post. Water ran down my A-pillar post through the fuse block and filled up the passenger floor area...about 4+ gallons worth. I removed the passengers seat, lifted and squeezed the water out of the carpet and completely dried everything out. Everything works, it would crank over, but not start. I could hear the fuel pump working, and smell fuel too as I cranked.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:17 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
This is not the ECU/DME...this is the JBE (Junction Box Electronics). you can buy another one with a matching part no. plug and play will work, but recoding and "programming" is recommended.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 AM
2009MinicooperSclubmen
Neutral
Sorry for the delayed reply. I have been out of town for four days.

After a week of squeezing out all the water in the carpet and thoroughly drying everything including the junction box fuse panel(A4010), the car would crank, but not start. Everything works on the car, windows, lights, radio, door locks, everything. The only code I have is an airbag light because the passenger seat was removed for drying and I tried to start it with it still out, but that should not have prevented it from starting. I checked the fuel pump relay and it was working and after a few attempt to start I could smell fuel from the exhaust, so I stopped. I did not think my problem was with the junction box fuse panel(A4010) That afternoon I throw the battery on a charger and would start testing things tomorrow. The next morning I saw the battery was not taking a full charge (it was the original battery. 9 years old) I had it tested and it failed. It had 325 CCA after charging all night. I replaced the battery and started to test components. The battery was now good, the high amperage power supply fuse panel (A406) was all good. Had power to the front power distribution box (A400a). Next thing to test was the DME mail relay. I had voltage at relay socket 30, but no ground at relay socket 85 with ignition on. I checked for continuity in ECM 28 pin and that was good. I checked pins 3, 4, 48, 49, 53 and all have ground. I even swapped out the relay and still crank and no start. So...according to my Bentley book, the ECM may be defective. I am certainly open to more thoughts on this. The closed Mini dealer is 310 miles away.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:27 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
The reason I believe it is the JBE is because I buy flooded minis and fix them. I get them with water as high as the window. Non of them I had to replaced the ECU (knock on wood). I think I have a JBE that you can test my theory with and return it to me or buy it.
PM you address and the part number on the fuse box to confirm.

The following 3 users liked this post by MiniToBe:
2009MinicooperSclubmen (02-09-2018), Minnie.the.Moocher (02-09-2018), punkgeek (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:24 PM
2009MinicooperSclubmen
Neutral
Old 02-10-2018, 02:26 AM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the fuse box have to be exact? Like if mine is 61.35 3457415-03 how exact would the replacement have to be?

Old 02-10-2018, 11:37 AM
2009MinicooperSclubmen
Neutral
I was directed to one on EBay. It is exactly what I have right down to the year and numbers. I am not sure if it has to be exact, but this one is for me. I will let you how this turns out when I get it and replace my water damaged one. I have heard that it will work but also needs to be recoded and re-programmed for the car. Not sure what that means or will do. Not sure if I can do that or have to take to dealer. I have nothing against any dealer, I just want to be able to do my own work. Closest dealer is 310 mile away.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:46 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Wow, 310 miles away????!? I really hooe it works for you then.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:45 PM
2009MinicooperSclubmen
Neutral
This thread should have been named: Junction box repairs.
I removed my Junction box (JB) located in the right foot well today. I pulled all the connectors and the most bottom two were a disaster. I have a used, but in good order JB coming and have to figure out how to clean the multi-pin connectors. The JB is corroded both in the connectors and on the back. I don't believe this is the first time water has been in here. I am open to ideas on how to clean the connectors up. I do not want to cut these off and re-wire a new connector on, but may have to if I can't clean them up. Bottom JB Connectors
Corroded Connector
JB
Back side of JB with cover removed
Corroded JB socket

Old 02-11-2018, 12:31 AM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Wow, I must’ve had very very little corrosion in mine then.