Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The dreaded P2096 on my R53

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 09:28 PM
krushmoto
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Winger67
Was it INPA that you used to clear the code? I’ve been having trouble running INPA but have been clearing the code with a Bluetooth Kiwi 4. It just comes back.
Yes, used INPA & it gave me all types of error messages but I kept at it. BTW it's not the code clearing that clears it, it's the defaults or something along those lines. That's how I was able to clear it.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:31 PM
krushmoto
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by krushmoto
Yes, used INPA & it gave me all types of error messages but I kept at it. BTW it's not the code clearing that clears it, it's the defaults or something along those lines. That's how I was able to clear it.
Found the messages... Go to the adaptations menu & clear everything. That's what worked for me.

Old 09-09-2021, 03:24 PM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
I see this thread had a life after my posts... I was not able to clear the code back then. Now, I have had the car stored for several years. Now trying to get a windows laptop to run INPA and try that route.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Winger67
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can confirm INPA and clearing the adaption values worked. It does come back sometimes weeks or months but at least it gets me by the emissions testing.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:40 AM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
I can confirm INPA and clearing the adaption values worked. It does come back sometimes weeks or months but at least it gets me by the emissions testing.
Thank you for confirming that you were able to clear the code with INPA. I am expecting that I will be able to do so as well. I still have not been able to get my hands on a Windows 7 or Windows XP laptop.

Since this is such a common problem, there is likely a common root cause.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:49 PM
Winger67
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WhoHasGotTheBlueS
Thank you for confirming that you were able to clear the code with INPA. I am expecting that I will be able to do so as well. I still have not been able to get my hands on a Windows 7 or Windows XP laptop.

Yes. With INPA, reset the fuel adaptions and then clear the codes. I had a Netbook I was about to recycle but now I keep it just for INPA. Didn't have any luck trying to run it on my Surface with Windows 10.

Not sure what the fuel adaptions do. I just know it resolves the P2096 to I can pass emissions.

Old 09-19-2021, 12:29 PM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Yes. With INPA, reset the fuel adaptions and then clear the codes. I had a Netbook I was about to recycle but now I keep it just for INPA. Didn't have any luck trying to run it on my Surface with Windows 10.

Not sure what the fuel adaptions do. I just know it resolves the P2096 to I can pass emissions.
I have INPA running. I can't clear the P2096. I did clear the adaptations, but I think the dealer already did that when I last had the car on the road. I read the adaptations out and there was little variation from the middle of the expected range.

EDIT: I had not started the car after trying to clear the codes. All I had done after telling INPA to clear the error was take the key out, then put the key back in and set it to position 2. I had not started the car, because I didn't have the snorkle, air filter/cover, air intake hose, or intercooler installed. I just got done putting all that back together, started the car, and the code had cleared! At this point, I view this as a minor miracle.

I wonder why my local dealer wasn't able to clear the code.

Incidentally, there is some real strange stuff being read out by INPA. I am not sure whether the ECU memory is corrupted, if the dealer played with some things when they coded it trying to get things to clear up, or, more likely, a combination of the two. I'll elaborate later...

Last edited by WhoHasGotTheBlueS; 09-19-2021 at 02:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 09:02 PM
Winger67
1st Gear
Great! I'm no expert with INPA but I was able to set some config stuff with the windows and key fob functions. Be careful. Correcting the ECU might mean replacing it.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:09 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 327 Likes on 227 Posts
When my P2096 code poped up . It was do to the fuel trims being way way out. I reset the fuel adaptations the cleared the code in inpa. Never came back on. That was 2 years ago.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:16 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WhoHasGotTheBlueS

You can I stall Inpa on windows 10. The issue is before you load disk one. You have to right click ,options,compatibility, select win 7 sp2. The save an run as administrator. This must be done to disk 2,3,4. Then you have to go into virtual dos an change some registry setting.
​​​​​Im running inpa, coding tool an win kfp an ncs expert on my Win 10 laptop.

2005jcw (02-06-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 06:46 PM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am here to join the P2096 crew . R53 with 161,xxx miles.. Didn't have any problems after clearing the code last year with a regular OBDII scan tool, but this year, the code keeps coming back every time I start the car, even if there is no cylinder misfire (which I have been having on and off. lately, off since I changed the sparkplugs). I have new o2 sensors and MAF installed. I want to try doing the INPA fuel adaptation clear as everyone has posted about. It seems all I need is a windows laptop and this tool? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RM32XT2/ref I'm on my third emissions failure and if I don't renew my plates by Aug 31 2022, I'll pay the fine :(

Old 08-12-2022, 06:54 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
If you get an inpa cable. I can install inpa for you an get you going. I done dozens of installs. I’m well known.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:36 PM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I got the cable.. this will be my first time installing INPA.. can I use this write up?:

https://www.obdii365.com/service/set...can-cable.html

Or is there a download link someone can suggest that's safe to use? I see so many versions everywhere..

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2022, 04:24 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
If you hit me up a little later. I can remotely install everything for you. Just need to download teamviewer.

geolemon (08-22-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 07:58 AM
herbhall012
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I am having this same code as well. 2 new ntk oxygen sensors and this code popped up. I am running a decatted stock manifold with my own built exhaust on it. Will the v18 cable work for inpa? I also have a windows 10 laptop as well. Gotta register the car this month. Mods include 17% pulley,cold air intake, step colder plugs, ac delete,sprint booster, decat stock manifold(cut cat section out welded flange to end and used a decatted section from cheap ebay manifold)

Old 10-11-2022, 10:58 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
I don’t believe it will.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:55 AM
fanning75
Neutral
Code p2096 information

Part 1, the common issue.
So I believe I can shed some light on this code as I am having a similar problem with my car. The pre cat o2 sensor and post cat o2 sensor compare outputs to monitor the cats efficiency, right okay should be common knowledge. From what I've gathered, this code is a result of the downstream o2 sensor output voltage being too low which indicates that there is excess oxygen after the cat. The reason this code is a rabbit hole is that there are many possible causes that can make the car run lean such as vacuum leaks, bad MAF sensor, intake leaks, or fuel supply problems. But before you give yourself a headache thinking about possibilities, realize that the car probably isn't actually lean. The most common issue I've seen online is exhaust leaks between the two o2 sensors. This can cause outside air to get pulled into the exhaust between pulses and so the downstream sensor is seeing a lower voltage than expected due to the "lean" appearance caused by the exhaust leak. When my header developed a crack at the flex pipe it caused this code, and when at idle I could see that it would occasionally dip down from a steady output to like 0.3v then come back up. An easy way to diagnose this as the problem is to use an OBD scanner that can graph the downstream o2 output. When the car is warm and at idle the output should be a steady 0.5-0.7 volts (although my Bentley manual says 0.8v for a healthy OEM header with two cats). To be sure this is an exhaust leak all you have to do is create excess back pressure at the tailpipe so that exhaust will escape at any leaks but not allow outside air to come back in, therefore maintaining its true composition just at a lower flow rate. When covering the tailpipes with cardboard I could see that the downstream o2 voltage was a pretty steady 0.7v with no excessive dips below 0.5v. Okay so problem found, its an exhaust leak. Easy fix to either weld the flex pipe or get a new header. If the output remains low (lean) and steady then its time for you to start looking for causes of a lean condition such as a fuel supply issue or air leak.

Part 2, me trying to fake a cat on my cheap header
Well this is where my story takes a turn, as I being cheap got a racing dynamics cat-less header thinking I could make it work. To accomplish this I built a low pass filter (RC circuit) on the downstream o2 sensor, which if you don't know what that is it just smooths out the voltage output. (I recommend researching this is you have a P0420 as it will most likely hide an inefficient cat.) So now when at ide the upstream sensor puts out a sin wave from 0.1v to 0.9v, while the downstream sensor puts out a much smoother voltage from 0.345-0.455v. My problem is that while i have made the output smooth to look like there is a cat there doing its job, the mixture is identical to that of the other sensor and so the average voltages are more or less the same. This is because the cat takes out oxygen when its doing its job, resulting in an oxygen deprived exhaust gas AKA rich AKA voltage output goes up. But with no cat there I am left with an output that looks like a cat is there, smooth, but its too lean. Right back to where I started now triggering a P2096. The reason this does not throw P0420 for cat inefficiency is because of the smooth output indicating that the cat is doing its job (even tho it doesn't exist lol), so the computer thinks that there just isn't enough fuel to burn up the leftover oxygen in the cat... lean.
So my options are to figure out how to amplify my voltage in order to see the desired 0.5-0.7v, or i could try replacing the sensor leads with a 0.7v constant power supply, or just weld in a cat and be done with it.

Hopefully I am able to shed some light on this issue for others as im sure more headers will rust out and crack leaving more people with this code, and hopefully someone can give me recommendations on my new header. I do have a stainless welding setup so if anyone knows a good high flow cat I can weld in I would consider it as trying to bypass it doesn't quite seem worth all this effort.

MINI_42 (11-21-2022)
Old 04-30-2023, 10:50 PM
patwong6
Neutral
INPA installation

Originally Posted by shrevemini
If you hit me up a little later. I can remotely install everything for you. Just need to download teamviewer.
Hi, I was wondering if you can help me install INPA on windows 7? I'm dealing with the P2096 code issue like everyone on this thread. I have a 2005 R53 with 85k miles trying for months to resolve this...pulling my hair out. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:41 PM
JCxMINI
Neutral
Any resolution?

Any help will be appreciated

Originally Posted by patwong6
Hi, I was wondering if you can help me install INPA on windows 7? I'm dealing with the P2096 code issue like everyone on this thread. I have a 2005 R53 with 85k miles trying for months to resolve this...pulling my hair out. Thanks.