Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Thermostat Replacement Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 01:09 PM
RedWhiteMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Replacement Problems

I'm in the process of changing my 2008 Mini hatch (none "S"). This is my first time doing this repair. So far I was able to install a new water pipe (correctly I think), but I'm having issues getting the new thermostat housing installed. More specifically, I'm having issues getting it bolted back in. After plugging the thermo back into the pipe, I'm having to use a little force to get the thermo to sit somewhat flush against the engine (is this normal). While doing so, I'm having a VERY difficult time getting the bolts to start threading in (is this normal).

Any tips to that will help? I've tried everything I could think of so far to no avail!

Old 07-31-2017, 06:42 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
it should be a little smoother process.

I think you should revisit the pipe that leaves the thermostat tot he water pump. there are two taps on that pipe that should be rather vertical. once that achieved, push the thermostat housing to it and install the clip. gently, align the hole to the screws and might have to gently pull the thermostat housing towards you so it sits flush with the head. I hope that helps. dont rush it.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:52 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Gotta agree with MiniToBe. I suggest you start over. The pipe between the pump and housing needs to be installed correctly, before the housing. You should feel the pipe "snap" into the pump --- like the pump has a "ridge" the pipe's o-ring has to slide past. Gotta be inserted straight, not at an angle. Then follow the above housing install instructions. As MiniToBe says, don't rush it --- and be gentle, that pipe is fragile!

Old 07-31-2017, 12:25 PM
rcmini27
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did this on a 2009 MCS. I used a nice coating of dielectric grease on both o-rings. I found that the short coolant hose wasn't completely on at the front of the thermostat housing causing a resistance. Once I had that completely on I got the threads to start and the housing aligned. The o-ring gave that reassuring light pop as it slid in. I didn't worry about the clip until the housing was bolted up. I got the clip installed on the second try. A little tricky but it is on there.