Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Radiator fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:01 PM
burble_durble
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator fan not working

2003 Mini Cooper S
All fuses work. The stage 1 relay works. I haven't checked stage 2.
The car over heats and stage 2 does not turn on.
I gave 12v power to stage 1 fan cables, fan turned on. Resister must be good then, right?
I turn on the car, get it up to operating temp, turn on A.C.. The fan still does not turn on.
Maybe something wrong with the fan motor?
Any ideas?

Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues section. Have you checked out the Sticky Thread below that is in that section? On the AC, if the system got hot and the relief valve blew off the hot gas, the AC may not run as the low pressure cut out switch is not being tripped.

Does the low speed fan run without jumping it? If it runs, where did you jump it, before or after the resistor?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-solution.html

Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 PM
burble_durble
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues section. Have you checked out the Sticky Thread below that is in that section? On the AC, if the system got hot and the relief valve blew off the hot gas, the AC may not run as the low pressure cut out switch is not being tripped.

Does the low speed fan run without jumping it? If it runs, where did you jump it, before or after the resistor?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-solution.html
Thanks.
I disconnected the fan wires before the resistor. The big plug is for low speed, the small plug is for the high speed fan relay in the fan housing.
I put 12v power to the pins on the large plug, and the low speed fan turned on. I plugged both back in. I turned on the car, got it to operating temp, turned on the car, and the fan did not turn on then.
I don't know what you mean about the low pressure cut off. However, when th3 car over heats, the AC does not blow cold air.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:51 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
The AC system has a low pressure switch. If the freon is low, the switch will not close and the compressor will not run. If you have cold air then the compressor is running but if your fan is not running and the car gets hot, there is the chance that the high pressure valve on the compressor will pop and your freon will leak out.

How did you check the relays?

The sticky thread I posted for you has allot of information on how the entire AC system.

And back to the AC, remember you have both a dryer and an expansion valve and if either are shot the AC will not work correctly.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:54 PM
burble_durble
1st Gear
I will look in to all the AC stuff on the link. Thanks!

Originally Posted by r53coop
The AC system has a low pressure switch. If the freon is low, the switch will not close and the compressor will not run. If you have cold air then the compressor is running but if your fan is not running and the car gets hot, there is the chance that the high pressure valve on the compressor will pop and your freon will leak out.

How did you check the relays?

The sticky thread I posted for you has allot of information on how the entire AC system.

And back to the AC, remember you have both a dryer and an expansion valve and if either are shot the AC will not work correctly.
I removed the stage 1 relay in the engine bay fuse box, looked at the diagram, saw which was positive and negative, applied 12v power, and it clicked.
I'm no expert though.
thanks for the link. I'll look more into the a.c.