Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Turbo fan/mechanic questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 PM
obgmugen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo fan/mechanic questions

Good day everyone. Just got a used 2010 S with 85k on it.....AFAICT, engine's good - tidy, no leaks, pulls hard.

My questions:

1) I know that '07 and up have turbo and after having driven an evo and an R56, after engine shut off, the cooling fan kicks in to help cool the turbo. Mine, however, DOES NOT make any noise at all after engine shut off. Absolutely quiet. Granted, summers here are not harsh and it was high 70's today to maybe around 80. I gunned it on the freeway when some punk with a Fiat 500 decided to race. SMOKED his ***. But anyways.....i got off the freeway and shut off the engine to see if the fan would go on and it STILL didnt after having it go 100+. The dealer just replaced the thermostat right before i bought the R56. Anything to do with it? Good or bad that the fan is not engaging? Is it within the normal engine operation behavior considering its not THAT hot out?

2) I live in Washington state ( Seattle ). Anyone up here know of a good shop and/or mini mechanic? Desperately need one as the only mini expert i know lives in socal, where i used to live.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated! Cheers!

-obg

Old 07-29-2017, 11:24 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
R56 has an Auxiliary cooling system specifically for cooling the turbo at shutdown. Pretty sure it only operates when engine is off. It's small and makes very little noise, just circulates coolant, no fan. I live in desert heat so I pay little attention to my coolant fan --- it runs often. My tuner modified the thermostat settings from 215 or so down to 185, and I installed a coolant gauge, so it's monitored often --- I don't listen for the fan operation.

You say a dealer replaced the thermostat --- was it the thermostat housing or just the sensor (the sensor plugs into the housing)? Sensor replacement should not affect the aux pump, however if the sensor is faulty it might not be sending good info to the ECU, which turns the coolant fan on and off. Housing includes a new sensor, which could be faulty.

Mini dealers warrant their parts and labor for a year or two. I suggest you take it back and ask them about coolant fan operation. FYI --- take a look at this illustrated parts list --- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select for info on how the coolant system works.

Also, have you ever heard / seen the fan operating --- with engine on? Maybe it's broken.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:43 AM
obgmugen
1st Gear
HEy thanks for responding! YEah the fan works while the engine is on.....I'm just a little concerned that the after-engine shutoff cooling operation is not working properly because I have seen fans come on in other minis....but that was down in SoCal where it regularly gets into the 90's. Like I said, its pretty cool where i am....around 70 right now, 11:40 pst. But then again, the engine still gets up to temperature ( along with the turbo ), which SHOULD engage the cooling and/or fan. You said that the coolant flow isnt really audible. I'll keep an eye on it.

Hopefully, someone from the 206 can give me leads on good shops to go to.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
R56 has an Auxiliary cooling system specifically for cooling the turbo at shutdown. Pretty sure it only operates when engine is off. It's small and makes very little noise, just circulates coolant, no fan. I live in desert heat so I pay little attention to my coolant fan --- it runs often. My tuner modified the thermostat settings from 215 or so down to 185, and I installed a coolant gauge, so it's monitored often --- I don't listen for the fan operation.

You say a dealer replaced the thermostat --- was it the thermostat housing or just the sensor (the sensor plugs into the housing)? Sensor replacement should not affect the aux pump, however if the sensor is faulty it might not be sending good info to the ECU, which turns the coolant fan on and off. Housing includes a new sensor, which could be faulty.

Mini dealers warrant their parts and labor for a year or two. I suggest you take it back and ask them about coolant fan operation. FYI --- take a look at this illustrated parts list --- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select for info on how the coolant system works.

Also, have you ever heard / seen the fan operating --- with engine on? Maybe it's broken.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:14 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
i think resetting the adaptation values will do it.

The following users liked this post:
obgmugen (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 09:29 PM
obgmugen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
i think resetting the adaptation values will do it.
Hey thanks for responding! How do i go about doing that? OBD2 port?

Old 08-06-2017, 05:07 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
You need a dealer or dealer level software...i have delphi software (china clone sw) and it was worth every penny. You can also use ISTA/D i think it has the option to reset.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:29 AM
obgmugen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
You need a dealer or dealer level software...i have delphi software (china clone sw) and it was worth every penny. You can also use ISTA/D i think it has the option to reset.
checked out the delphi clone u were talkin about and sure enough, bunch of them on ebay and found some videos on youtube. looks tight. definitely will look into it. Thanks again!