Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Hood cable "broke"... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 03:15 PM
ohiojcw
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hood cable "broke"... HELP!

long story short, went to pop hood and got nothing. Inside popper is not broke, so I think it broke at the connection under the hood... is there any way to gain access to manually release the latches from outside/under the car ?

Thanks. I looked in the Bentley but didn't find any definitive answers...

Old 08-25-2017, 04:17 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I'm not aware of a DIY guide for this...I know the dealers and some independents deal with this problem routinely. In my experience, it results from lack of lubrication of the hood latches. Sorry I don't have more to offer.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:36 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Search will pull up loads of threads. Short story is wheel well access, but I suggest further reading.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:50 AM
minicoopah
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had this problem when I bought my 2010MCS. Had to put my car up on a jack(it was free.. im sure you can do it with some jackstands) and then I went from under the front bumper. used a long poker.. almost like a metal marshmallow stick with a small 90 degree bend in the top. just started jamming it into both of the hood latches... in hind sight... I probably would have been a little more precise with my prodding. However, after 4 mechanics and myself stabbed at it for close to 3 hours I got it open. just have to pop the springs off and unlatch both of them. then your hood is free to open up.

My cable wasn't even broken. It just popped off the track. used some silicone adhesive where the cable goes from 2 -1 and locked it back inside the channel....Vwalla, all fixed.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,870 Posts
More info here if it does break or gets stuck.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...atch-talk.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-13-2017, 07:12 AM
ohiojcw
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
So, i was able to get under it and pop the latches from the under side.... not too terrible, but figured i'd make a little diagram to give people an idea what to look for/how they function...

The passenger-side is the most accessible and has the clearest path, so id suggest starting there first.
The drivers side is a bit trickier with boost piping being in the way, and its tucked up just to the left of the coolant expansion tank (also a good way to locate it quickly.)

once opened, i was able to figure out that the cable from the interior had simply just popped out at the Y-connector..... simple enough fix, just annoying.... i used the old super-glue/baking soda trick to secure it into the coupling so that shouldnt (fingers-crossed) ever happen again.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,870 Posts
Thanks for the update

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172